Poe.

the kid had heard him.

the kid that lived on the other side of the thin plaster walls had heard him on the phone with his ma and now the kid, finn, knew he was a homosexual. finn knew that poe was gay.

but poe had the kid's word, apparently. finn was "okay with that stuff", according to their conversation last night (morning?). poe prayed to god that he was telling the truth.

he stared down into his cereal. bland cornflakes sat in front of him, a constant reminder of his bland, boring life.

poe would have sulked about his own loneliness for the entire day, but a short and nervous knock at the door interrupted him.

he stood up and shuffled to the door, not awake enough to look through the peephole. he jerked the door open to find the same nervous boy from last night; only this time, he was wearing a tight grey t shirt that was covered in paint, and red booty shorts.

poe's forehead beaded with sweat.

finn's face had splotches of red, green, and white paint on it, small dots lining his strong jawline.

"do you have any house plants?" he said.

poe furrowed his brows. "what?"

"houseplants," he said again, only this time he subconsciously moved his right hand along to the word. "i need a potted plant in order to finish the project i'm working on."

poe snapped out of it. "oh, yea, sure," he said, disappearing back into his apartment for a quick second. he held out the small pot of succulents, and finn room it against his chest. "there you go."

"thanks a bunch," he said, turning to leave. he turned back to say, "have a good day."

poe smiled as he turned away, but the smile dropped as soon as he left.

"i wasn't planning on it." he muttered, shutting the door.