Poe.

"the navy pier?" finn asked, bewildered.

poe laughed. "yea, the navy pier!" he exclaimed, matching finn's tone and volume.

finn frowned, pouting. "we can't go to the navy pier! we came here for vacation, not to blow all our money at a casino! besides, it's freezing cold!" he said, pacing in the small hotel room.

"finn, you're thinking of the scummy parts!" poe exclaimed. he lead finn to the large window and threw open the shades, revealing a snowy and bright chicago. "what i'm talking about is the restaurants! cheap diners, fancy places that have food from every part of the world!" poe looked to his boyfriend, who stared out at the snow slowly falling.

finn looked at poe. "fine," he said, turning around and picking up his keys. he spun around and pointed at his chest. "but you're paying."

poe beamed. "i can live with that."

-------------------

poe reached for finn's hand as they walked out of the hotel, but stopped himself before he could latch on. he had to remind himself of where he was and when he was. it was difficult for poe to live in solitude like this.

it was even more difficult for finn, being black and homosexual, poe thought as they stepped into the yellow taxi out of the thick snowfall. finn dealt with persecution every day for something he couldn't help.

finn walked into the small resturant on the snowy boardwalk and all eyes turned to him; caucasian eyes. poe hummed lowly, almost like a growl. he stepped in front of finn and continued into the resturant.

poe and finn reached the small podium where the waiter awaited the restaurant's customers. the thin man looked up from his magazine and seemed taken aback.

"im sorry, sir, but we don't accept... those kinds of people in this facility. you'll have to find some other place to dine."

poe narrowed his eyes at the kid standing in front of him. what kind of nerve did this kid have to tell him where finn could eat?

poe rolled up one of his sleeves, but finn grabbed onto his bicep before he could start trouble.

"poe, please, let's just go." finn pleaded at a whisper.

poe looked into finn's eyes, and then back at the man, who seemed fearful. poe huffed before turning to the door and leading finn out with a hand on his back.

they stood on the dock, watching the cold river rush past them as they slowly took drags from their cigarettes.

poe sighed. "im sorry, finn. this could have been such a pleasant night."

finn smiled sadly as he took the lit cigarette out of his mouth. "poe, a night with you will automatically be a good one."

poe looked back at finn with utmost admiration.

this was it.

"finn, i have to show you something." poe said as it started to snow. large, heavy flakes filled the empty space around the two.

finn flicked his cigarette butt into the river and watched poe out of the corner of his eye. "listen man, i don't know if im ready for that kinda thing..." he suggested, stifling a laugh.

poe smacked his shoulder. "you ass," he said, laughing. "that's not what i meant. this is a lot more expensive than what's in my pants." he said, reaching into his pocket for the velvet box.

finn turned to poe, leaning on the raining in front of him. "i don't know, poe, what's in there is pretty valu-" he cut himself off as poe faced the open box to finn, revealing the golden band inside.

finn stared at the box for a long time, and poe began to grow nervous. finn put his hand onto poe's wrist and looked up into his soft yet sad eyes.

"who will marry us?" finn asked, choked up.

"don't worry about that, we'll worry about that in los angeles. let me take care of everything else, baby." poe said, putting his hand on finn's red and frozen cheek. "but first, will you marry me?"

finn huffed an anxious laugh, tears filling his eyes. "yes, poe, yes, of course."

poe brought finn into a short hug. he pulled away and held him by his shoulders. "i love you, baby."

snow slowly fell onto finn, catching in his long eyelashes. "i love you too, poe."