Finn.

his mother never loved him.

that's all he needed to tell himself. his mother never loved him, because if she did, she wouldn't have hit him.

she wouldn't have slapped him and spit in his face.

and yet, finn assumed and accepted the fact that he deserve it.

she said it herself, faggots don't deserve to be loved or to know comfort, and she made herself clear.

finn pulled into the parking lot, face swollen and bruised. he stepped out of his car and slammed the door shut, not giving a shot that it was three am and that people were trying to sleep.

as soon as his apartment door shut, he slid down the wall onto the floor and broke down.

he broke down because the only female figure in his life legally disowned him as her son. he broke down because he wouldn't have any money to support himself in college next year, he broke down because he officially had no family left.

he also broke down because this was his wakeup call that he would never be able to be himself. he would never live his life comfortably, he would never live his life as a black homosexual, no matter where he lived, and that terrified him.

he stood up, wiping the tears off his swollen face, and changing into an oversized sweater and thigh shorts.

as he closed the door to his bathroom, a knock at his door startled him. he crept to the peephole and looked through to see poe dameron looking nervous of the first time finn has seen.

he opened the door slowly and finn's beaten face scared poe. he stared at him for a moment before saying anything.

"jesus christ, kid, are you okay?" he asked, stepping forward.

finn sighed, close to tears yet again. "not really." he said, stepping a few feet back. "come in." he offered.

not taking his eyes off his neighbor, he walked in and finn shut the door behind him.

"who beat you?" poe asked, leaning against the wall.

finn hesitated. "me. i did it to myself."

poe stared at him in disbelief. "finn. you can't possibly think that i believe you." he paused, and finn dropped his gaze. "who really did this to you?"

"my mother." he said plainly. "someone told her about my homosexuality."

poe frowned. "who?"

"i think it was my sister," finn said, looking back at him. "but i have no idea how she found out."

"that's shitty, kid, that's really shitty." he sighed.

finn huffed a sarcastic laugh. "you know, it's funny, that's the most human contact i've had in months." he said, wiping stray tears away from under his swollen eyes.

poe stared at finn, and enveloped him in a short hug. finn stood, face pressed to poe's chest, and hugged back. poe broke away, smirking slightly. "there," he said, putting his hands on finn's shoulders. "that's more positive human contact."

"thanks, poe."

"anytime kid."