8 ; Act Sober

"No" I say, my voice firmer than I expected.

My dad looks up from the TV. A re-run of a football-game is playing. His feet are on the coffee table and his body is slump against the beige recliner. 

"Adeline," he says, as if saying my name will magically make me obey him. 

"No," I repeat. I cross my arms but they fall slack when he abruptly stands up. His body is right in front of me in a matter of seconds and he yells. "Dammit Adeline just get me another beer!" 

I flinch away, suddenly scared of the creature in front of me. Because it isn't my dad. It's someone else. It's whisky and rum and beer. He sways slightly as he stares into my eyes. 

When a single teardrop escapes my eyes it's as if a flood just hit him. But he's still not my dad. Now it's regret and heartbreak and agony. 

Seconds are stolen as we just stand there. 

But our trance falls short as we both turn our heads to the hallway.

My dad straightens up, acting sober before Tyler's eyes. Why not act sober before mine?

Tyler doesn't even look up as he rushes towards the stairs.

"Tyler Ivan Benedetto, stop."

Tyler halts but doesn't turn around.

"It's past your curfew. Where have you been?" my dad asks.

Tylers shoulders tense. "Out," he says.

"Out where?" 

"That's none of your business," Tyler spits as he halfway turns his head. His right fist is clenched tightly against the banister.

"Tyler. Do not use that tone on me."

Tyler snorts and shakes his head. Then he turns around, an ugly sneer on his face. What happened to him? I think. What happened to the sunshine boy who used to push me on the swings, or carry me home when I scratched my knee, or give me half his chocolate when I already finished mine?

"You're not even here half the time to actually parent us! You have no control over me."

I see my dad clench his fists and I pray for whiskey, rum and beer to not take his place. To not seep through the cracks again.

"If you will not respect me, you will not be welcome under my roof."

"What?" Tyler and I both look at each other as we say it.

"Get out. Or get under my control," my dad says.

"Dad, you can't do that! Where will he go?" I ask. I don't know if I should be furious or sad but right now I feel like I'm more on the furious side. 

Dad looks at me but his eyes remain cold and hard. "That's not my problem. He said so himself. I'm not in control of him. He's not my responsibility."

I want to slap him. I want him to wake up and realize what he's about to do.

I look to Tyler. I can see he's shocked but doesn't want dad to know he cares. Doesn't want him to see that he just shot him. Right then and there. In the heart.

Then he turns around and storms up to his room, slamming the door. I turn to dad again but he's already on his way to the recliner. 

I shake my head, trying to calm my rage. Then I decide to leave dad alone. He's not worth it. This version of dad is not worth it.

I stomp to my bedroom and when I arrive I practically attack the bed with my body. I need to solve this. Shit. I need to solve this right now. Tyler will take his word. I just know it. He'll move out.

I'm cut off from my thoughts when I hear Tylers' door slam shut again. Before I even know what I'm doing I've silently followed him down to the hall. I look at my dad. The recliner is faced away from the hallway so he doesn't see I'm about to leave. 

I contemplate going to him, but when I see the freshly opened beer in his hand I shake my head and pull on a grey hoodie from the rack next to the door. 

Tyler already left and I'm planning to follow him. 

When I step out I'm immediately drenched in the rain. The feeling calms me and I figure if I don't manage to follow Tyler, I'll just stay outside in the rain.

I walk to the road and look both ways. I see our grey Mercedes rounding a corner to the right, the direction out of town. He's headed to the gym and I sigh.

Guess I'm gonna have to walk there.

...

The building looks dark but the parking lot is full of cars. I hesitate when I come to the door. Do I just go in and talk to him? Do I spy on him to find out what he's planning to do?

A few seconds later I push the metal doors open. I step inside a dimly lit hallway. It smells of musk and sweat and testosterone. My shoes squeak as I walk and I'm dripping water everywhere. 

There's another door a few feet away with a small square window at the top. I'm too short to properly see through it though, so I just push it open without a second thought. 

I'm expecting to be met with weird stares as people lift weights and show off their muscles. But I'm not. Because no one is here. 

The room is a big square. A few treadmills are on my right and boxing sacks are hung up in the far left corner. Weights are lined along the back wall but the main point of the room is a square mat in the middle. It's blue, but I'm fairly certain I can see old blood stains. I cringe at the thought.

Where is Tyler? Our car was in the driveway so I know he must be here. Is he in the lockers room? Is everyone just coincidentally in the lockers room?

I walk around for a bit not knowing what to do. But as I make my way further into the room I hear noises. It's almost like music. Really loud and obnoxious and terrible music. It's coming from below the floor. 

Theres a basement too?

I look around and see a black door in the far right corner. You wouldn't spot it without really looking for it though, as it matches the floor, ceiling and walls. It's all black.

I hurriedly walk to it and turn the knob. The music becomes louder and a wave of heat hits me. 

I can hear screaming and yelling and suddenly I'm a bit hesitant to enter. It sounds like someone is being slaughtered. I can't see anything as there is a set of stairs taking to the right a few meters in front. The color palette is the same. All black.

A few deep breaths later and I'm on my way down the stairs. There's a big crowd of people but no one notices me. Their backs are all I see, and they're to tall for me to see over. But they're all crowding around some sort of stage. 

I sneak my way along the wall and as I come to the corner there's an opening big enough for me to get through. I push bodies aside as I make my way to the front.

When I reach the stage, or should I say ring, my whole body tenses. 

Well, at least I found Tyler.

---

A/N: 

Really hope you liked this chapter. Please vote and comment if you did!

xoxo