26 ; Bitches Bite Back

Me: have you done 7.134 yet?

Hailee: yup;)

Me: what did you get?

Hailee: I'm not just gonna give u the answer;)

Me: whyyy

Hailee: cuz u won't learn anything

Me: you're so annoying

Hailee: ilu

Me: ...

Hailee: I'll come over;) x

Me: k. x

The doorbell rings twenty minutes later and I hurry down the hall and open the door. Hailee comes inside, five notebooks in hand. I raise an eyebrow.

"I have some homework of my own to do," she says, a sheepish smile on her face.

"Oh," I mumble, returning her smile.

We walk to the kitchen. Hailee sits down at the dining table while I put a kettle on the stove, preparing some tea. I lean against the counter and look to Hailee. Her brows are slightly furrowed, eyes fleeting around the room.

"He's not home," I say. Her eyes meet mine and her shoulders sag in relief.

"I... It's just a little awkward, you know..." Her laugh comes more as a sigh. I only nod. "He's ignoring me completely."

"My brother's an idiot," I sigh. I want to be angry at him. And I am, a little. But I can't judge him for how he chooses to love her. He loves her enough to let her go. And maybe it's stupid. Maybe it's the biggest mistake of his life. But at least she's safe. So that makes it worth it. Right?

"He's not though," Hailee says, her lips half smiling.

"I know." I hear the kettle boil behind me and when the peeping sound fills the room I remove it.

As I pour the hot water into the big mugs I can't help but think how easy it would have been if none of this ever happened. If I didn't stumble upon Jackson, well more get run down by him, that night, would we still meet? I want to believe that we wouldn't. I want to believe that we're not meant for each other. I want to believe that the universe is tearing us apart because we were never meant to be together in the first place. But I know I don't.

Hailee is looking at my maths homework when I sit down, handing her the tea. "Thanks," she mumbles.

"Careful, it's-

"Fuck!" Haile sticks out her tongue, trying to cool it by fanning air at it with her hands.

"Hot," I finish.

She pushes her cup to the side and points to the equation. "You need to use the quadratic formula."

"The what?"

Hailee laughs. "X equals negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus four multiplied by a times c, devided 2 multiplied by a."