24 ; Three Words

"You gonna eat that?" Jackson asks.

I push my plate of fries towards him. He smiles and I just roll my eyes. 

"Can I ask you something?"

"No," he says.

I roll my eyes again, a smile playing on my lips. "I'm gonna ask you anyways."

I hesitate. Will he get mad?

Jackson dries his hands on a napkin before grabbing mine, sensing my nervousness. "What is it?"

"Uhm... Do you- Do you know if the guy is actually dead?" I look down at our intertwined hands, too scared to meet his eyes.

He's silent and for a moment I wonder if he actually even heard me. So I look up to meet a tense looking Jackson. I swallow the lump in my throat.

"No."

And that's all he says.

"No as in you don't know? Or no as he is not alive?" I ask confused.

Jackson licks his lips and looks away for a moment. "No as in I don't know."

"How can you not know if he's dead or not?" I ask baffled, my voice louder.

Jackson looks at me with wide eyes, hands pulled up in surrender. "It's not my fault! I kinda went into hiding the following week. You know, because I actually didn't want to get caught."

I let out a sigh. "Well what if he is? What does that mean?" My voice is quiet and I cast my eyes down at my lap.

Jackson gets up and scoots in next to me on the booth. He places a hand on my cheek, making me look at him. 

"I'm not gonna let him hurt you," he says softly. 

I place my palm around his wrist, softly stroking my thumb up and down. "It's not me I'm worried about."

Jacksons jaw clenches. "I'll be fine."

After a moment I just nod my head, not wanting to discuss it any further. "Let's go to your place."

Jackson nods and scoots out of the booth, my hand interlaced with his. We pay our food and head out the door and it's already dark outside. 

"Wait," he halts. His hand pats his pockets. "I forgot my phone."

I nod to the café. "Go. I'll just go to the truck."

He nods and turns around, heading back inside.

The wind picks up and a shiver runs down my spine. I feel small drops of water hit my face. My eyes scan the parking lot and when I see Jacksons car I start walking towards it. 

Then I feel a throbbing pain in the back of my head before everything tilts and blackness surrounds me.

Jacksons' POV

I slip my phone in my pocket before pushing the door open, feeling the cold air hit my face once I step out. Adeline is nowhere in sight but I ignore the nag in my stomach. She's probably inside the truck already.

My feet walk a bit hastily towards it, and my heart halts when she's not inside. She's not standing beside it either. Shit.

"Adeline?" I call out. "This isn't funny. Where are you?"

I feel my skin start to crawl with worry. Shit shit shit.

I must look like a fool because I'm turning around in circles and walking all around the parking lot. Fucking hell.