15 ; Careful Doll-Face

Jacksons' POV

I watch her walk up to the front door of the blue two story house and I see her stop and turn. She lifts her dainty soft hand and waves it at me. I hesitate for a moment before I wave back. 

As I speed down the lane I can't shake the feeling of Adeline. Of being with her, around her. 

I don't know how to describe it. It just is. We just are. But at the same time, I know we're nothing. I know we'll never be anything either. Like the sky. It's blue, but not really. And it never will be. But then again, does it really matter if the sky is really blue or not, when I know for certain it'll always be the most beautiful shade when I look at it? 

I can smell her rosy scent even though she's not in the car anymore. I think roses might be my favorite kinds of flower.

What the hell am I thinking? Roses? Really?

I shake my head and floor the gas pedal, only slowing down when I need to round corners. My mind is going as fast as my car, whizzing past memories and thoughts and questions. What am I doing with her? Why did I take her to the gym, when I know it's not safe? I knew Sebastian wouldn't be there, but still. 

That was a dick move, I think. I let out a sarcastic laugh. Dick moves are the only moves I know, it seems.

The gym comes into sight and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Parking my car, I reach for my gym bag and walk inside. 

I feel a slap on the back of my neck.

"Hey, Jackson!" I turn to my left and come eye to eye with Damon. He's about the same height as me but his shoulders are broader. He was the guy who introduced me to this. Boxing, I mean. I'm practically his charity case.

I remember when he found me. I had been wandering about on the wrong side of town when a couple of guys jumped me. They didn't want money or drugs, not that I had any. They just wanted blood. I remember the smaller one holding me down while the bigger one gave it his all. I fought back. I did. But it wasn't enough. And I'd never felt that weak before. I was strong, and I knew it. Just not strong enough.

I was almost unconscious, left on the ground, when Damon appeared. He pulled me to my feet in one ragged drag. Then he shook me, as if I wasn't unsteady enough.

"Kid! You hear me?" he said. I nodded, barely being able to hold myself steady.

"Jeez, what did you do? What'd you do?" he kept repeating and I kept shaking my head.

"Where are your parents?" he asked and I only shook my head again. Damon sighed.

"Well," he said. "I can't just leave you, now that I know you don't have anyone to go home to."

And he didn't leave me. He took me in and taught me how to box. He introduced me to Sebastian when he thought I was good enough. And that's when I started making serious money. When I'd earned enough money I eventually moved out of his place.

"Well?" Damon is looking at me now. I shake my head.

"'Well' what?" My voice is harsher than intended.

"'Well' who's the chick?" Damon gives me a slap on the back and raises his eyebrows.

I shake my head again and look elsewhere. "I don't know who you're talking about."

Damon laughs and people turn around and look at us. The gym is pretty empty, with only a couple of other guys that I've seen around before.

"You can't fool me. Is she special or something? Is that why you haven't introduced her to me?" Damon is teasing me and I'm taking his bait because I can feel my nerves going haywire.