17 ; Fallen Angels

My legs are dangling off the chair, brushing the floor slightly. Jackson is sat next to me and the tension is almost choking me. We're sat outside the principals office, waiting to be slaughtered. I bite my nails every ten seconds before scolding myself for doing so. 

"What do you think will happen?"

Jackson doesn't even acknowledge my presence, staring at the faded yellow wall in front of us. I poke his shoulder but he doesn't even blink.

Poke. Poke. Poke. Poke. Po-

"What?" he snaps. His eyes are glaring into my own.

"What do you think will happen?" I ask again, smiling innocently.

"I don't know. Nor do I care." He turns to the wall again, tapping his foot on the floor.

I sigh. 

"Miss Benedetto, Mr Park."

Principal Clark is stood in the doorway, a stern expression on his face. I scramble out of my chair and make my way inside, looking at the floor in shame. I squirm in my seat and Jackson couldn't look more bored. 

"Mr Park, what a delight to see you again." His voice is dripping with sarcasm and he looks at Jackson with disdain. 

"Pleasure is all mine, Fred." Jackson has the audacity to then wink at the principal, giving him an innocent smile as well.

The principal seem unimpressed by his charms. His eyes narrow in on him like he's a prey. "It's principal Clark to you, boy." He turns to me and a smile stretches out on his face.

"Miss Benedetto. I hope life as a senior is treating you well."

"Yes. I love it." I showcase my brightest smile, hoping it will benefit us if at least one of us is nice.

"Might I ask what you're doing here with someone like Mr Park?"

"I'm right here." Jackson is glaring at him and I kick his leg under the chair, making him drop his glare.

"Yes. Well, let's get right to it. Who smashed the mirror?" He gives Jackson a pointed look and Jackson glares in return.

The room is dead silent as Mr Clark is staring us down.

"Fine. Jackson you're expelled."

I gape at him, not even bothering to hide my surprise. It was just a freaking mirror. 

"You can't do that." I say.

"I will not tolerate vandalism in my school. It's not the first time Mr Park has disturbed the peace and he has gotten plenty of warnings. Miss Benedetto, I suggest you keep away from Mr Park, seeing as he is a bad influence on you." Fred is looking at me from over the brim of his glasses. "I know you skipped school yesterday," he adds. I look down in shame. "I will let it slide, but only because I know you've been through a lot."

There it is again. The pity. I don't like people pitying me, but I'm not going to demand punishment either. But 'disturbed the peace'? Are you kidding me? 

Jackson is gripping the arm-rests of his chair tightly and I can see his jaw clenching as well. He is glaring at the principal and Mr Clark is giving him another one of his pointed looks, daring him to act irrational.

"I did it." The words are out before I can swallow them. Both heads turn to me.

"Adeline what are you doing?" Jackson seems irritated. 

"Stating the truth." I look the principal in the eyes. I swallow. "I smashed the mirror."

Mr Clark narrows his eyes and stare at me. His eyes move to Jacksons hand which is covered in small red wounds on each knuckle. I almost cringe at the transparency of my lie.