16 ; Thanks Romeo

I took a self defense class and I now realize that was a total waste of money. 

I know what to do. I know how to act. I know when to call for help.

"Help!" I scream. "Rape!"

The blond guy clamps a hand over my mouth and I bite down until I taste blood. 

"You bitch," he sneers. His hand makes contact with my cheek in a millisecond and it feels like he just ripped my skin off.

"He said not the face." The guy behind me grunts and take a step back, me still caged in by his arms.

I don't have time to think about it any longer because I'm now lying on the ground. My ribs are soaring with a sudden pain and I clutch the area he kicked. Every breath I take is painful and I want to lie in a ball and cry. 

I scramble to my knees but I'm kicked once again, in the stomach, and all air is knocked out of me. I'm shaking out of fear now and tears blur my vision. What do I do?

"He-help!" My voice is scratchy and I'm certain nobody can hear me.

I lie on my back and try to take a few deep breaths. I need to get up. I need to get away. I need to get to safety.

Thoughts of escape fill my mind but I know I have no chance against them. Where is a hero when you need one?

The two guys loom over me. "You stay away, got it?" 

I don't really know what he wants but I nod anyway, my bottom lip quivering. And then, with one last kick to the ribs, they leave me alone in the dark. I gasp and curl to the side.

My whole body is stiff in pain and fear. I try to take proper breaths, but every time my lungs expand it feels like I'm breaking my ribs from the inside. Tears stream down from the outer corners of my eyes. I want to lie here and just never open my eyes again.

But I know I have to. And so I do. I open my eyes. Then I get to my knees. And then I stand up. My body is on fire and I want to calm the flames with my tears but I know I can't. This isn't the time to cry. I need to get home. It's only a twenty minute walk home.

I make it in thirty minutes. The flaming pain has subsided to only a throbbing pain. The door is unlocked and at least I know Tyler got home safely.

I basically crawl up the stairs and into my bed. Once I lay my head down on the pillow, everything comes out. Tears wet my pillow like a rainstorm and my mind is cloudy with too many thoughts.

...

I wake up to sunlight streaming in through my windows. I groggily squint my eyes and stretch my body. But when I do, pain shoots through my ribs as if someone is scratching an open wound.

Memories from the night before flash through my mind and it takes everything in me not to cry again.

I lay on my right side, looking out through the window. The sun is rising and it's almost magical. Streams of light seem to be able shine trough the tiniest of cracks between the trees. 

I think the sun might be why I'm still able to even get up anymore. Because even if it dies every night, it will rise with just as much light the next morning. And even in death the sun casts beauty all around.

I get to my bathroom, carefully avoiding any sudden movements. 

I look horrible, to say the least. 

My eyes are slightly red and I have a slight pink hand mark on my left cheek. It almost looks comical and I would laugh if it didn't hurt. My hands move to the hem of my shirt and when I lift it up I let out a gasp.