Chapter 18: Sam

Meeting Alex was great. What was not so great was my whole family obsessing over my visit. They have been trying to talk me into inviting him over since I told them about him. Especially Ann is very eager to meet him. I'm really unsure what to think about this idea though. My parents, my three sisters and Alex, what could possibly go wrong? Everything.

     I have been texting a lot with Alex and it's clear that he wants to visit me too. When he talks about it again I call him.

"Sam?" He's talking way too loud. "Wait a second, I have to find my hearing aids," he adds and I hear him searching for them. I say nothing because it would make no sense except if I wanted to talk to myself.

"I'm back," Alex says eventually. "Hey."

"Hey, I'm sorry I should have texted you first. I forgot that you and your Mom are signing at home," I explain.

"It's fine. What's up?"

"I've wanted to talk about my family."

Suddenly he sounds shocked. "Oh no. What's with them? Did I-"

"They are like the mafia," I interrupt him. "Three older sisters and parents that can feel no shame. Anything I said can and will be used against me." 

Alex laughs. "That would make everything even better," he says and I can hear him grinning.

"Oh hell no! My mom's the 'do you want to see that baby photo album' type and I'm just not ready for it."

"I am."

"No you're not. Nobody is ever ready to see me wearing something colorful." I laugh.

"Oh I am definitely ready for that. What else?"

"My sisters love talking about my ex-girlfriends. Gossiping about that a lot, actually. Making fun of all of my terrible choices," I joke.

"Even more in front of that gay friend of their straight brother, I guess," he laughs but I hear a question underneath. I can't lie to him. I can't.

"Bi." I don't say more and Alex is suddenly very quiet.

"No, Sam," he says then, his voice sounding too innocent, "I said I'm gay, not bi."

That asshole actually wants me to say it.

"You know what I mean."

"I don't think I do."

"Then you can spend a night thinking about it."

"Great, I'm coming over tomorrow. Text me your address," he nearly sings.

"Go to hell."

"I'll take this as a 'Yes, you can visit me, Alex'," he says before ending the call.

     I lay down on my bed and stare up to the ceiling. I'm grinning. I said it. And Alex is not stupid. He's definitely not stupid.  So I guess he's fine with it? Or he just sees how it goes? I have no idea. The only thing I'm sure about is that he's coming over tomorrow.

I'm doomed.