Chapter 9

I was starting to get tired, the outdoors and I didn't get along well, meaning I was getting really tired from the long walk.

"Do you need to go back Nico?" Will asked.

I really didn't want to be a burden "I-I can make it. Don't w-worry."

He turned to me and sighed "It's not good to push yourself Neeks, I have enough pictures anyways. Let's go back to my house."

"Okay," I muttered.

We made it back to his house in about fifteen minutes, my legs felt like noodles from all of the hills.

He opened the door for me and we stepped inside. I took the gloves off and he took them from me, smiling and setting those and all of the pictures on the table. One of them was of me with my hands held behind my back, the lighting was very nice, though it would have been better with a different person as the subject. I kind of ruined it.

Even if nobody could tell it was me, I ruined most things, I looked really weird, as usual.

"Today was successful, thanks Neeks," he laughed.

"N-no problem," I muttered.

Will looked like he was about to say something important but we were interrupted by my phone ringing.

I checked it, Dad was calling for some reason.

"H-hello?" I said as I answered the call.

"Nico, hello. I've just been notified of a business trip that my company is sending me on tomorrow, but I booked a flight today because it was one of the only ones with available seating to Venice. I'll be back in a while so I was just calling to tell you that, also to ask if you would please lock the door at home because I forgot to."

"Oh, ye-yes, I'll do that. Um, have fun back at home," I said, right after there was a beep, he hung up.

My father and I didn't talk much but we seemed to have a mutual respect and caring for one another, neither of us really liked people much. It was better if we just communicated in short bursts. Those short bursts were usually just telling each other to be safe and him telling me he was leaving, I didn't really mind that.

"Your dad?" Will asked "Is everything okay?"

I nodded "He j-just left for a business trip."

"Oh, okay. Does that happen a lot."

I shrugged "Just every once in a while, h-his work needs him in different places a-a lot."."

He nodded and stretched slowly. He was like a lanky cat in the summer, relaxed and kind.

From outside the house I could hear Mrs. O'Leary barking, she was still in the house and I doubted that Hazel took her out.

"Mrs. O'Leary, she's barking, I've gotta let her out," I muttered.

Will almost said something again but a phone interrupted us, again. I was starting to dislike phones. It was his that time, a text.

"Crap, I've gotta go down to the corner store and pick up some groceries, I guess I'll walk you home and then we'll part ways?" He said.

I nodded. In truth I didn't really want to leave Will, he was so cozy and thoughtful, but also I didn't want him to get too attached, I didn't want to hurt him. That would probably happen.

"Alright, I've just gotta get my wallet, be right back," he said, jogging up his stairs.

I looked back down at the pictures, seeing one of me sticking my hand in the stream, my hands were so small. I looked kind of like a, like a girl I guess. No way in hell Octavian would figure it was me from that specific picture. Hopefully not at least. If he did we'd both be doomed, I didn't want Will to have to go through that.

Will came back down the stairs and opened the door for me. We headed over to my house and stopped on the doorstep.

Will smiled "Hey, can I have your number? Just so we can text and stuff?"

He whipped out his phone and opened the contacts app.

I froze, I'd never been asked that "Um, I, sure?"

"That sounded like a question Neeks, but alright, what is it."

I gave him my number and he nodded, typing a few letters and turning his phone off.

"I texted you so now you have my number too. Text me whenever you want."

"C-cool. Um, bye I guess. See y-you at school," I muttered.

"Yeah, bye, have a good day!" He called, heading down the street.

My heart was still fluttering as I opened the door, why did giving him my number make me so flustered? It shouldn't have done that.

I locked the door and looked around for my dog, she was curled up by the back door. I slid it open and waited for her to do her business, then called her back inside. After locking the back door I called for Hazel, she wasn't there. I looked around and eventually found a note on the counter.

Nico, I'm out with Frank and Leo. There's leftover soup in the fridge. -Hazel

I sighed and pulled the Tupperware of minestrone soup from the fridge, pouring some of it into a bowl. I put it into the microwave and checked my phone, Will's text was still on the screen.

Hey Neeks! It's me lol.

I added him into my contacts and the microwave beeped. I ate the soup slowly, turning on the new episode of Bones on Hulu while I scooped bites into my mouth.

I wondered if Will liked that kind of show? I mean, he liked Stranger things which had some more gruesome looking things in it, I was sure blood couldn't bother him much. I stopped myself from thinking about him, I was getting close to him and I had no choice but to accept it.