Chapter 13

Two days passed of Will taking care of me. He stayed home from school and only left me so he could sleep or get his homework from his teachers. I would have expected the prolonged time of being around him would tire me out, but it didn't.

Everything with Will was so weird, he interrupted my somewhat routine life, not necessarily in a bad way though. A lot of interesting stuff had happened with him around, even if he didn't cause it.

I was mostly better on the third day, but Will still made me stay home from school.

"You need to give yourself some time to recuperate, to heal. Just one more day and you should be okay back at school," he said after he saw me sitting up in the bed.

I didn't argue, I had become used to not going, throwing myself back into that hell hole wasn't a good idea.

His mom cooked eggs and bacon, I finally had an appetite so I practically inhaled that stuff. It was so warm.

"T-thank you Mrs. Solace," I said after I had finished.

She smiled "Just Naomi is fine."

"T-then, t-thank you N-Naomi," I corrected myself.

"Don't make him work so hard Mom," Will laughed.

Naomi rolled her eyes at her son, then picked up after breakfast.

"I've gotta go work, you boys better not get up to any funny business while I'm out," she said, winking at Will.

Will blushed and helped with the dishes.

Naomi was leaving the house when Will ran to the door with a bag in his hand "Ma' your lunch."

His accent was slipping out again, which made me kind of happy.

"Thanks darlin' see you tonight," she said warmly.

Will locked the door behind her and we went back into Austin's room.

I laid down on the bed and he sat in the chair.

"Aren't ya tired?" He asked.

I shrugged.

"I know I am, god, I didn't sleep at all last night," he sighed, slouching in the chair.

"You can sleep if you w-want, I-I'm fine," I said.

Will frowned "I don't want to leave you though."

"But you're tired."

He shrugged, then put his feet up on the bed "Yeah, but you're sick."

I shrugged back.

He sighed and played with his hair "You ever miss Italy?"

"S-sure. Do you ever miss Texas?"

He nodded "I miss the sun, the fresh air, the water, even though I couldn't go in it much because of storms."

I nodded "Italy had a pretty coast too. There were buildings all around the hills, my father would take me there to go swimming."

"Would you ever move back?"

That was kind of a loaded question. That would mean leaving him, Reyna, and all the others. I didn't really want to do that "I-I don't think so, I'd like to visit though."

"I don't think I'd go back to Texas, sure, I miss it, but here is better. Here I can start over."

He looked sad, but also kind of mad.

"W-what happened?"

"I got into fights just before we left, people saying bad stuff about my dad, saying he was a man whore. He kind of is but, I didn't need other people saying that."

I had wide eyes, I wasn't used to people telling me details.

"Sorry, I should go to sleep," he muttered.

He stood up and walked around the bed, I was expecting him to leave the room, but he climbed in next to me and laid down.

"This way I don't have to leave you," he whispered.

I turned to him and nodded, my face was so warm. He smiled at me, his curls were falling in his eyes, he looked so sweet. He closed his eyes and sighed, eventually falling asleep.

I couldn't sleep very well, I was too busy looking at him. I was shocked that he told me about fighting, then he crawled into the same bed as me. I felt stupid for not wanting him to care, he needed someone to care too.

I cared, whether I wanted to or not. I cared about Will.

I could feel his warmth coming off of his body. With anyone else I would have gotten out of the bed, but I didn't mind him very much. He reached out towards me, muttering something about being cold. He was sleeping, I knew that, but I still had the urge to talk with him.

"You need another blanket?" I whispered.

"Nico, c'mere," he mumbled, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me into his chest.

I was panicking, I wasn't used to hugs. I tried to worm my way out of his grip, but I couldn't, not without waking him up.

I could feel his heart rate, so much slower than my own. I tried to calm down, listening to him breathe, the sound of rain on the roof. I eventually fell asleep, without a single dream.

Will was smiling awkwardly at me in the chair when I woke up.

"Huh?"

"I'm sorry Neeks, I do weird things in my sleep, I wouldn't do that without asking for permission. Sorry sorry sorry-"

"It's okay," I whispered, still half asleep.

"No it's n-"

"It is. I knew you were asleep."

He sighed with relief, like I could have been angry with him. He was too considerate and kind for there to be something about him that made me mad.

"W-what time is it?"

Will turned and checked a clock "About twelve. Want lunch?"

Nodding was the only response I could manage, I was still groggy.

"I'll go make sandwiches."

After he left the room I slowly sat up, rubbing my eyes and stretching. He returned with two bottles of water and plates with sandwiches on them.

"You like jam or turkey?"

"Whichever one you don't want," I said.

He handed me the turkey sandwich "You need the protein and calcium."

We ate together, it was quiet, the rain continuing. I couldn't remember when it started but it was peaceful. Everything in that moment was peaceful and I loved it.