Partners

"No Mackenzie, for the millionth time I have to study all weekend," I say arguing with my best friend, and reading my favorite book for what seems like the millionth time on the walk to school.

"Your always studying have you ever even been to a high school party?" She asks pulling on my shirt sleeve giving me puppy dog eyes. I roll my eyes and push her off my arm before slipping my book into my bag.

"No Kenzie and I never plan on going to one," I say through gritted teeth. Everyday I have this argument with her. Can't she just accept that I don't want to go to some random person's house just to get drunk and do something that I know I'll regret in the morning.

"Why not." She whines pulling on my shirt sleeve.

"Because Mackenzie." I respond gritting my teeth.

"Please come with me."

"No."

"Please."

"NO!" I yell surprising my best friend, normally I can put up with her pestering but I just felt like crap this morning, especially with my jeans digging into the brand new bruises and cuts on my legs.

I pick up my pace I quickly lose a shocked Makenzie then pull out my book. Not paying attention to where I'm going, I then get my foot stuck in a large crack in the sidewalk and I let out an agonized scream feeling my ankle twist and I then fall to the sidewalk.

"Fuck this world," I mutter laying on the sidewalk. I wait a second for Makenzie, I love her but sometimes she just doesn't get that I don't like parties or large crowds in general. I'll admit it I'm a nerd, I'm antisocial, I'm not that interested in boys only my GPA. Some may call me weird but I think I'm just dedicated. Or at least that's what I tell myself when the cruel evil beings know as teenagers decide to insult me.

"Carter!" I hear my best friend call out to me. "I'm sorry I kept bugging- oh shit- you before," she says almost falling. "Why are you on he ground?"

"It's okay Kenzie," I assure her as she helps me up and we struggle to get to school on time with me limping slowly. I make it to school as the tardy bell is ringing. I groan and limp through the almost empty hallways by myself because Kenzie doesn't have 1st period with me. I enter Mrs Jacksons class five minutes late. I try to sneak into class but her door is locked so I groan before knocking causing everyone including the teacher realize I was late.

"I'm sorry Mrs Jackson I managed to twist my ankle on the way here so it took me forever to walk," I say to her after I putting my stuff down and walking over to her desk.

"It's okay Carter I won't mark you tardy but in the time you missed people got to chose their partners for our newest projects and I'm afraid the only person who doesn't have a partner is-" Mrs Jackson starts and gets cut off by a knock on the door. Stella a quiet girl who sits in the back slowly gets up and opens the door to reveal Ryan Baker, the schools 'badboy' in all his arrogance and idiocy.

"Ryan Baker." Mrs Jackson mutters and I turn towards her confused until I realize she's finishing her previous thought and my partner is Ryan Baker. "Mr Baker please come here and explain to me why your late," Mrs Jackson says and Ryan looks at her before rolling his eyes.

"I slept in," he shouts then turns back to his group of friends continuing their conversation.

"Mr Baker come here," Mrs Jackson says her voice rising in volume. And Ryan rolls his eyes before waltzing over to her desk confidently.

"Yes Mrs Johnson," he says and I have to bite my tongue to keep from correcting him. Mrs Jackson takes a deep breath and plasters a fake smile on her face before explaining to Ryan what she was trying to tell me before he interrupted.

"So did no one want to work with you?" Ryan asks once we sit down and look over the instructions for the project. I grit my teeth and let out a breath of air before responding.

"I got here late." I explain not looking up from the paper.

"But aren't you one of those people who is obsessed with school?"

"I hurt myself on the way to school."

"Clutz."

"So?"

"I was just saying your clumsy your the one who got offended."

"Can we just pick our famous scientist and get started?"

"I thought you were just gonna do all the work with you being smart and stuff," says Ryan tilting his chair back. I let out a huff and turn to pull his chair down losing my cool for the second time this morning.

"I will not do all the work and while I would love to see you fall back and hurt yourself like I said I will not do all the work and you won't be any help unconscious," I say my voice calm but raised slightly.

"I like you, your feisty," he says leaning towards me. I let my head fall onto my hands and take a few deep breaths.

"Were doing Galileo please go get a computer," I say trying to sound nice and happy but I'm pretty sure I sounded like a pissed of chipmunk.

"Yes ma'm," he says saluting to me before smirking and walking to the computer cart to grab a chrome book. I grab it and sign into my school email. I pull up google classroom and click on the link for sights with credible sources for our scientists. I don't even realize how close Ryan is until he whispers in my ear.

"Im pretty sure working with you is gonna be interesting."

-----
Word count- 1072
-----
Carter shaw- Britt Robertson
Ryan Baker- Manu Rios
-----
I know it's short my next chapters will be longer anywayyy I'd love if even if this chapter sucks you would keep reading cause people get better. I tried adding a lot of dialogue in this I usually avoid it and that annoyed some people but please tell me if there's too much anywayyy pleeeeeeaaaasse

Vote
&
Comment

-Emma♥️