The Call

"I think Blair likes you." Ryan says.

"Yea." I respond writing facts about our scientists on our poster board with blue sharpie.

"I'm bored." Ryan complains after a minute

"Your supposed to be helping me." I mutter.

"Ok, what do you want me to do."

"I don't know Ryan find something."

"Oh, uh.. ok." He says but doesn't move to help, so I decide to toss a sharpie at him. "Ow, I was just trying to figure out what to do, I doubted you wanted me to ruin the poster with my handwriting and were done with the rest of the project."

"Ok fine, let me finish this poster then we can find something to do, happy."

"Yea." Ryan says but he's still pouting.

After our encounter with Blair we headed up to one of Ryan's rooms and decided to actually work in our project. It's been an hour and I have one more thing to be write then we'll be done.

"Ok you big baby I'm finished." I say putting the poster to the side and facing Ryan.

"I'm not baby." He says pouting. I giggle then go to pinch his cheeks like you would a little child.

"Of course you aren't." I say prompting his frown to deepen.

"Stop being mean." He says crossing his arms over his chest.

"I'm not." I say trying and failing not to laugh.

"Are too," he says then realizes hes acting like a baby and stops pouting and uncrosses his arms. He then puffs out his chest and tries to look mature which only makes me laugh harder.

Then I hear a phone ring for a few seconds before someone, I'm assuming Blaire, picked it up. Ryan who had been previously looking for the phone then grab at it and picks it up to listen in on the call.

"Nosey." I say and he puts his hand up in a manner that says be quiet this is serious. After a few seconds I think he legit growls as he commands his sister to hang up through clenched teeth.

Me being nosey myself I attempt to listen in.

"I told you not to call the house."

"I... orders... asshole..... scared... Blair... will find.... drunk jerk... father is."

"Gosh Joseph just tell me what he did."

".... mother.... hospital... stable enough... dad.... bail money... can.. pay."

"You want me to pay it." He says and I lean closer to Ryan to hear more.

"Yea Ryan.... I dont... money to pay... please Ryan... don't want... and Blaire.. find out... dads... beating mom." He says and I lean on closer slightly scared but then Ryan turns towards me looking mad.

"What the hell Carter stop being a nosey twat. This is family business back off." He screams holding the phone away so whoever he's talking to doesn't hear him.

"I'm sorry I'm just.."

"A nosey twat?" He responds in a cruel voice and I feel pressure build up in my chest and tears fill my eyes. "We're done with the project just leave."

"I will but only because your being a pompous ass and I quite honestly don't want to talk to you." I say my voice stern but wavering. I hate being yelled at. When I was little I hated getting in trouble not because of the punishment but because I would get yelled at. I would always cry I'm surprised I managed to make it out of his house before breaking down.