17.

Clara sits on the couch, her forearms resting on her knees.

"When are you going back?"

"Tomorrow."

She nods. "And what are you going to tell them?"

"Mother actually sent me out to find you."

Clara's eyes meet his. "Were you ever going to tell me that?"

"Under the new circumstance, I feel that it's important information to share." 

"What did she want?"

"For me to bring you back."

Clara quickly rises to her feet. "Clearly she doesn't think I'm dying fast enough. What are you going to tell her?"

He sighs leaning back into the couch. "That you got away."

"You really think she's going to believe that?"

"You're still very strong Clara, even with limited magic."

She rubs her temple. "She's going to destroy our coven, centuries of building."

"You don't think I know that?"

"You know it now!" She snaps. "You're blind affection for her has hidden away the monster she truly is." 

"I've always had suspicions of Mother," Issac states truthfully.

Clara raises a brow. "You? The apple of her eye had suspicions of her?"

His brows knit together. "Is that so hard to believe?"

"I know you, Issac. Changing your beliefs in one night is unlike you."

"Like I said, I've had my suspicions." He answers calmly.

He shifted on the couch, pulling a small wood charm out of his pocket. It dangles from a black leather chain as he holds it out to her. Her eyes widen as she quickly snatches it away.

"My totem. You little thief!"

"She wanted me to bring it to her." He states nodding to the small falcon. "Surely now you can see my intentions are pure."

Her eyes glance to the one around his neck, the small bear proudly displayed above his shirt.

"I don't know why you don't wear it." 

"Because it's not mine." She states quietly.

He raises a brow. "Of course it's your's." 

She shakes her head, her brown eyes meeting his. "The falcon is Father's." She beings, pausing her mind drifts to a memory. "Do you remember when we were younger and the Coven was celebrating the blood moon festival?"

He nods. "It was the day we were gifted our totems."

"You were given the bear, Amelia the otter, and I was given the fox."

"Amelia." He muses quietly. "Father sent her away shortly after the festival." 

"And just after that he mysteriously vanishes."

Issac's eyes widen. "You think Mother was behind his disappearance?" 

"All I know is that I found this a few days later, next to the stream where he would always take us. Almost as if someone wanted me to find it."

"And you've had it every since?"

She nods, taking a seat next to her brother. Turning the small totem over in her hand, her eyes gazing over all the small details.

"They hold no real merit you know." She states quietly.

"I know." He beings. "But their worth doesn't have to be measured in money."

Clara smiles glancing over at him. "Do you remember the story behind them?"

He chuckles, grasping his own totem. "Way back when, some many years ago." He begins in a booming voice imitating the one his Father use to use. "When our ancestors first came to this land."

"You great-great-great grandfather found a beautiful white tree." Clara giggles.

"Amazing by its wonder he cut a large chunk from its trunk."

"Taking it home he craved from its wood, tiny woodland totems for his children."

"So happy with his work he also craved one for his wife and himself."

"But then, the great white oak went up in flames."

"And scared that he had angered mother nature he buried the remaining wood where the tree once stood. Hoping that the simple action would grant him forgiveness from his mistake."

The siblings laugh at the playful retelling of the old story.

"Father always told it the best," Issac states looking over to her.

She laughs nodding. "Amelia use to love that story. She would ask him to tell it every night."

"Remember when he started using shadow puppets?"

"Oh god, she would laugh for hours."

The sibling's laughter dies down as the stare at the space in front of them. A small silence drifts around them, Clara glances over at Issac.

"Do you ever wonder what happened to them?"

He meets her gaze a solemn look crossing his features. "All the time."