31.

Klaus couldn't help but stare at the brunette across the room. Losing himself in the curves of her body, the dip of her collarbone, the arch of her shoulders. He seemed to spot everything about her, no matter how small. She is truly breathtaking, and his very heart aches at the sight of her. He felt breathless, weightless, happy that she appears to be doing so much better from the dark turn of events a few nights ago. 

"You're looking well." He spoke up, finally able to find his voice.

She smiles at him. God, that smile. That smile could stop wars. "I'm feeling much better thank you."

He returns her smile, making his way across the room. "I'm glad to hear that."

"I can't thank you enough for-"

He quietly shushes her placing his finger against her lips. "You don't have to thank me, love."

She gently grabs his hand, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "I know, but I want too." She states in a hushed tone placing a soft kiss on his cheek near the corner of his lips.

His heart flutters at the simple action, he truly has missed her.

"Well isn't that sweet."

The hybrid's blood runs cold at the sound of the familiar gruff voice. Panic momentarily clutches his heart, as he quickly turns to face his old foe

"Father."

Mikael laughs. "Father? Are you still clinging to that word boy?"

Klaus protectively raises his arm in front of Clara, making sure to keep at least one body part between her and his father. Mikael's eyes drift to the brunette, a smirk tugging on his lips.

"It appears that I am interrupting a heartfelt reunion." He laughs pacing about the room. "Hello, Selene."

"Mikael." She greets through gritting teeth.

"I knew it was only a matter of time before you would show up again." He smiles.

"If that's the case then why look so surprised?"

"Just stay behind me, Selene," Klaus warns glaring at his father. His eyes shifting from blue to gold.

Mikael laughs. "Do you honestly think you can protect her? She went missing for a thousand years because you could never be the man you were supposed to be. And now she's going to disappearing for a thousand more!"

"No!" Klaus roars, quickly charging. 

Mikael chuckles easily catches the hybrid, pinning him to the wall.

"Look!" He shouts waving a stake towards the empty room.

"She's gone."

"You're lying," Klaus growls.

Mikael shoves a stake through his hand causing him to cry out in pain.

"Do you honestly think-" He pauses shoving another stake into his free hand. "-that anyone!" Another stake. "Would want to-" Four. "-stay with you?" He questions roughly ramming the fifth stake in his stomach. 

Klaus groans his head falling forward, there is a stake in each hand, one in each thigh and one protruding from his stomach.

"You are nothing." He spat. "You have always been nothing. Why would she choose you, why would anyone choose you!?" 

Klaus' eyes widen at the familiar sight of the white oak stake in his father's hand.

"I want you to know something boy." He hisses in his ear. "I will make her death far more painfully than your's will every be."

"Don't you touch her!" He growls. 

"You're pathetic, weak! Wasting your breath on a woman who left you here to die."

Klaus weakly shakes his head, looking to the ground. "She didn't leave me." He mumbles his heart heavy with grief. "She didn't leave me."

"Do you honestly think that anyone could ever love you? That anyone will ever love you?" Mikael questions in a hushed tone, raise his hand up tightly clutching the stake. 

"Honestly I'm surprised you managed to survive this long." 

Klaus' eyes widen as his arms swing down, the white oak stake burying it's deep in his chest. He breath becomes ragged, as deaths dark claws surround him. Spot litter his vision as figures come into view. His mother, his sister, his brothers. All smiling, happy at the sight of his death.

Klaus quickly jumps awake, clutching his chest. It only took a few moments before he realized that the events were nothing more than a terrible nightmare. He lets out a heavy breath running his fingers through his matted hair. His eyes shift to the bed, fear swarms in his chest when he sees that it's empty. He sits up in his chair looking around the empty room.

"You're awake."

At the sound of her voice, he releases a breath he didn't even realize he had been holding. He turns to her, blue eyes meeting brown ones. A frown makes it's way to her lips at his ragged appearance.

"Klaus are you alright?"

Before she can even blink the hybrid has her tightly in his embrace. 

"You're awake." He mutters, relief washing over him.

She wraps her arms around his torso resting her head against his chest. "Yes, I'm awake." She replies quietly. "I would have woken you but-"

He quietly shushes her by placing a kiss to her lips, his hands gently cupping her face.

"It's alright, love." He mumbles, eyes peering into hers, his lips brushing against hers with every word. "I'm just glad to see you're awake."

A small smile tugs on her lips, as she leans up on her toes placing another kiss to his lips. Klaus' heart flutters and with each minute that passes in her presence, the further and further his nightmare drifts away.