6

kicked out
——————————————————
The van came to a stop in the parking lot of a Taco Bell, allowing me to get Carl from the back. I swung open the doors to see his bloody, bruised body lying limp on the floor, lifting up and down occasionally as he breathed. "Carl? It's Vanessa. Everythings okay now.." I tried to reassure him as he looked up at me. "How are you feeling?"

Instead of taking my hand, he crawled out of the van himself, wincing in pain. "Oh, I feel great after being beaten up by some drug lords." Carl said sarcastically. "No, of fucking course I'm not gonna be okay!" He snapped, slamming the van doors and slumping into the passenger seat. I tried to keep calm as anger brewed inside of me. "Well, a thank you would be nice after I busted your ass out of there.." I muttered before starting the engine again and turning back onto the highway.

The rest of the journey stayed silent as we both focused on the road or things out of the window. I pulled up to the Gallagher's just before 12, giving Carl the opportunity to get out. He ran straight up the porch steps and was about to knock on the door when he turned back to look at me, letting out a deep sigh. Suddenly, he appeared by my door with his arms out, waiting for me to walk into them so we could hug.

"I'm sorry tonight was so shitty but thanks for getting me out of there.. If I had been with anyone else, my body would probably be crammed in a shipping container half way to Mexico by now." Carl mumbled into my neck, and I smiled, appreciating the apology. "Don't worry, it was fun while it lasted." He pulled away and began walking back up the porch steps again. "Night Wilkes." He said with a smirk, reaching for the door handle. I hopped back into the drivers seat and waved at him. "G'night Gallagher." As he disappeared into the darkness of his house, I started the engine and headed home, getting excited at the thought of jumping into bed.

[back at the house]

As soon as I opened the front door and started creeping towards the stairs, I felt a pair of hands snatching at my shoulders. "Where the fuck have you been?" My mom yelled, shaking me vigorously. I managed to push myself away from her and replied "I was out with a friend, now if you'll excuse me.."

"You've been sleeping around again haven't you? I warned you about being a whore but you just can't fucking help yourself! Get out, you can go and live with your 'friend'!" She spat, pushing me back towards the door and slamming it in my face.

"Are you fucking serious?" I screamed, pounding my fists on the wood. "Let me in, mom!" No answer. I shoved my middle finger up in the direction of the house and kicked a stone in anger. My body slumped onto the porch steps as I thought of places I could go, trying to ignore the throbbing pain in both feet. Eventually, I decided to lay down where I was and rest my head on my arm, trying to drift off. Tonight was going to be rough..

[end of chapter]

morning lovelies, how are y'all today?