20

vertigo
——————————————————
We pulled up to the restaurant and saw how busy it was. Waiters rushed around, taking orders and serving food to tables that were occupied by businessmen and their fancy housewives. A guy, not much older then us, appeared and led us to a table near the back of the restaurant. He pulled out my chair and grinned, allowing me to sit down. After handing us our menus, I caught the waiter winking at me and I immediately looked at Carl, hoping he hadn't seen it. But his irritated expression said it all..

"Don't." I sighed, placing my hand on the table for him to take. "We're here to have a nice meal and celebrate getting Dom into a shit ton of trouble." His frown turned into a grin as he held my hand, pushing away the thought of the flirty waiter, who came back to take our orders. "What can I get this fine lady?" He turned to me and licked his lips as I anxiously made my decision. "I'll have the risotto please." My smile was small yet polite and I handed him my menu before looking towards Carl. "And you?" The waiter asked him, attitude clear in his voice. "The steak." He replied, neither of them bothering to make eye contact with eachother. I rolled my eyes and waited for the waiter to leave before continuing my conversation with Carl.

"What are your parents like?" I attempted to change the subject to something a bit more interesting and personal. He focused his eyes back on me and replied "They're a mess. My mom left us for some chick when I was 7 but even when she was with us, I'd rarely see her because she'd spend days in bed. She had bipolar, you see. And Frank's an alcoholic so any money we have goes to the Alibi Room. Fiona actually adopted us a while ago so now she's like our parent and she's doing a better job then they ever did." He let out a sigh. "What about you?"

After thinking over my answer for a second, I said "Do you remember that convenience store shooting in downtown a few years ago?" He nodded so I continued. "Well, my Dad used to work at that store but he was there on the night of the shooting. The gunman fired at him 5 times before grabbing whatever he could and running, leaving him to bleed out and die." I stopped to focus on my breathing as tears were starting to form in my eyes. Carl noticed and held my hand on the table, rubbing soothing circles into my skin. "Ever since then, my mom has drunken her life away to deal with the pain whilst I've had work life out on my own. It's hard raising yourself at times when you need your mother most, you know."

Suddenly, the waiter appeared again, ruining our deep conversation. "Here's your food!" He smiled down at me, placing our full plates in front of us.

[after dinner]

We'd finished eating and the bill was being printed, allowing us to pay and leave. The waiter came over and handed me a plate, containing the receipt and a small slip of paper. I frowned as my eyes skimmed the numbers, realising he had slipped me his digits. "Don't worry about the total V, I've got it." Carl smiled softly but I shook my head, showing him what had also been attached to the bill. I watched his jaw clench and his hands ball into fists as the anger bubbled inside of him, making him get out of his seat so he could confront the guy.

"Back off my girl." He growled as he squared up to the waiter, who had turned around to defend himself. My hand covered my face in embarrassment as the two became rowdier, now resulting to light pushes. "She's not gonna your girl for much longer. Why would that hottie be with a poor piece of shit like you when she could have me?" He scoffed, looking back at me and winking. My eyes rolled but I quickly ran over to them once I realised Carl had pushed the waiter to the floor, gaining the attention of other customers who were trying to enjoy their evening meal.

My arms wrapped around Carl's waist as I tried pulling them apart, gesturing for other staff to help. "Stop! He's not worth it." I yelled, finally managing to yank him onto his feet. After observing the angry faces of everyone in the restaurant, I grabbed his hand and quickly whispered "Run", escaping to the car before anyone could catch us. We started the engine and sped off, leaving several waiters to catch their breath on the sidewalk.

[end of chapter]

i had a fun day - me and my two friends met for a bit, i sold something on depop, i saw the man of my dreams and a bunch of us swam in the river near my house,, however my phone smashed so it's really glitchy atm. how was ur day?