22

park meetings
——————————————————
[carl's pov]

I entered the play park to see Dominique sat on a bench, watching the toddlers on the swings and slide. My hand reached out, as I came up behind her, and gently touched her shoulder, which gained her attention. "Hey." She said, softly before turning back to face the children. I took a seat next to her and observed the tear stains running down both cheeks, along with her red eyes. "My dads gonna kill me." She croaked, looking down at her feet in shame. "He only just started talking to me after the planned parenthood situation so this will send him over the fucking edge!" I pulled her into my chest so she could sob peacefully for a while before allowing her to sit up again so we could talk about options.

"How do you know you're pregnant? Have you taken a-" I stopped as she pulled out a zip-lock bag containing a pregnancy test, marked positive. My heart sank but I continued by asking "Is it mine?" She nodded. "I haven't had sex with anyone but you in weeks." My hand rubbed the back of my neck and I sighed. "Are you going to keep it? Have you thought about abortion or adoption?" She stared at me as if I'd asked a stupid question, shaking her head violently. "It's a fucking baby! Why would I kill it? That's so cruel!" I raised my hands in defence and turned to look at the playground, our conversation dying down to complete silence.

After a few minutes, I broke the quiet by saying "I'll help you look after the baby." Dominique's arms wrapped around me and she sobbed into my shoulder again, whispering "Thank you! This means so much to me."

*PING*

My phone vibrated indicating I'd received a text. "Give me a minute." I muttered as I scrolled through the missed calls and texts from Vanessa. Once I was away from Dominique, I dialled V's number and waited for her to pick up. "Hey, is everything okay?" She asked cheerfully and my stomach twisted, knowing that this news would crush any happiness she had. "Something happened." I took a deep breath to calm my nerves before explaining everything in a simple sentence. "Dom's pregnant and it's my kid."

The receiving end went silent and I furrowed my brows. "V, are you still there?" A quiet "yes" indicated she was but I could tell the news had turned her morning upside down. "I'll tell you the details later, okay? Everything's going to be-" I was cut off by the phone line going dead, causing anger to bubble up inside of me. "Fuck!" I yelled, kicking a nearby tree and gaining disapproving stares from parents. I rolled my eyes and returned to Dom, who immediately jumped on my back.

"Who'd you call?" She asked curiously but I shook my head and stuffed my phone into the pocket of my jeans. "It doesn't matter. Why don't we book an appointment with planned parenthood this week? They can give us all the advice we'll-" Once again, I was stopped mid-sentence, which was really starting to get on my nerves, as Dom quickly shut down my idea. "No My dad will find out." I was starting to grow more and more impatient as all I wanted to do was go home to Nessa so I snapped "He's gonna find out at some point, okay? Look, I have some other business to deal with so call me when you have an actual plan for this baby." As I walked towards the park exit, I heard her shouting "He'll find out when I want him to!" and "This 'business' better be very important if your going to leave our baby over it!" behind me.

Typical. As soon as something good happens in my life, the bad soon follows, messing everything up. And somehow, the bad was always Dom..

[end of chapter]

ugh dom annoys me so fucking much,, like i just wanna pull off her weave everytime she speaks. anyway, this chapter was kinda short so sorry bout that :/