9

smokey
——————————————————
I woke up to someone's arm hanging loosely over my side, which I assumed was Carl's due to the mess of brown hair tickling my back. He was still asleep so I wriggled out of his grip and wondered downstairs, trying to find something to do. Nobody was up, which didn't surprise me as it was 9 o'clock on a Saturday morning, so I decided to make some breakfast, making my way towards the empty kitchen. It took me a while to locate everything but soon enough, I had some pancakes cooking in a pan on the stove.

Suddenly, I felt Carl's arms sneaking around my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder. "Why don't you, me and the pancakes go upstairs? We can see if morning sex is all it's cracked up to be." He mumbled into my skin as the events of last night came flooding back. "Shit." I sighed, trying to flip one of the pancakes. "Look Carl-" He cut me off by attaching his lips to my neck, making me freeze and my eyes bulge in surprise.

"Carl, what are you doing?" I managed to force out some words as my hands gripped the counter top. A moan escaped and I clenched my teeth, hoping he hadn't heard it. "Next time, I'll get you moaning my name baby girl." He whispered as my cheeks turned bright red. My fingers glided across my neck, feeling for the tender spots that had now formed purple hickeys. "Don't get any ideas Gallagher, there won't be a next time."

Suddenly, the smoke detector began to beep and panic washed over me. I looked down to see that a pancake had been burnt to a crisp and I sighed again. "This is why you shouldn't distract me when I'm cooking!" I whined as I hurried over to the back door, throwing out the pancake and leaving it propped open to let the smoke out. Carl hopped onto the counter and waved a clothe under the detector as I cleaned up the pan. Fiona came running down the stairs, pulling on a tank top over her underwear. She observed the smokey kitchen with an alarmed expression but I tried to reassure her. "It's all under control Fiona, go back to sleep."

After a last search of the room, she shot me a weak smile and wondered back upstairs. Carl carried what was left of the pancakes into the living room, setting the plate down on the coffee table, whilst I followed with two mugs of tea. We fell back onto the couch, and started digging into our breakfast. A pair of eyes burned into me and I turned to Carl, raising an eyebrow at him. "You know, it's rude to stare." A smirk appeared as I watched him try to explain himself. "I just.. I can't figure you out." He narrowed his eyes as if he was trying to 'read' me and I chuckled, turning back to my mug.

"One minute, you're acting hard to get and the next, you're all over me.. What's with that V?" His words surprised me and now it was my turn to put together an explanation. "Well.. I'm just trying to be careful. I-I don't wanna fuck around and catch feelings for someone who could just drop me the second he gets bored. And I especially don't wanna be that girl that waits by the phone incase you call for a pick-me-up."

Carl's expression switched and frustration washed over him. "How can you not see that I'm trying to make an effort here? I take you out, I treat you like a fucking princess, but all I get in return is this guard you're trying to keep up." My hands gripped the mug as I tried to stay calm. "Well, how do I know you don't do that to all of your girls? I'm sure you always spend a few dollars on a meal and make them feel special before getting them in your bed for another fuck.."

A sharp exhale escaped his lips. "You could ask any girl at school whether I've made the slightest bit of effort with them and they'd say no. When I first had eyes for you, maybe I did just wanna fuck so I could say I've slept with the Vanessa Wilkes.. but I've gotten to know you. I think.. I think I actually might like you." My body froze at his last words. "Please day something.." He interrupted the silence, making me snap out of my head.

A small smile crept onto my face as I leaned in, giving him a quick peck on the lips. Carl went in for a second kiss and soon enough, we found ourselves having another intense makeout session. At least this time, it went uninterrupted.

[end of chapter]

i'm awful at updating this book,, it took me so long to re-write this chapter ugh.. also i like the intensity throughout but is it too much/does it acc fit into the story? idk man i'm a mess atm