13

school dance
——————————————————
[vanessa's pov]

School dances, especially this year, seemed so lame and pointless. They were a chance for the popular kids to have their egos boosted and buy expensive outfits that would never be worn again. They were also a chance for students like me to realise that nobody thought we were worth their time or money. Instead of fussing over a night of awkward slow-dancing and non-alcoholic punch, I would be staying at home, dancing around my room to Brockhampton.

The school bell startled me and I sat up from my slump, watching the other students pack away. I had one class left, which was art, before this painfully long day was over and I had already become sick of hearing about people's prom dress ideas. Once I'd slung my backpack over my shoulder, I strolled out of the room and into the crowded corridor, making my way towards the arts building.

A hand tugged at my arm, pulling me into an empty classroom, and I turned around to see Dylan, one of the seniors I had been talking to recently. He smiled down at me but anxiety clouded his eyes as he attempted to spit out his words. "A-are you going to the school dance?" He asked but I shook my head. "Probably not.. Staying in school longer then I have to isn't really my thing." Dylan's face dropped slightly and I furrowed my brows, "Is everything alright?"

"I was gonna ask you to go with me but no worries if you're not that bothered." He tried to cover the disappointment in his face and I shot him a playful pout, opening out my arms for a hug. "I'll let you know if I change my mind." I mumbled into his chest before pulling away. We exchanged one last smile before going to our classes, his little 'promposal' staying in my head for the majority of art. Although I despised these school events, someone had actually wanted to go with me. Someone wanted to walk in there, with me on their arm, and spend time with this short-tempered loser, which I felt more then flattered about.

[after school]

"Wait, Dylan!" I shouted from the opposite side of the parking lot, running towards him. He stopped and turned in my direction, smiling as I appeared in front of him. "You know, I'd love to go to the dance with you, if you haven't asked anyone else.." His face lit up and he put an arm around me. "I knew you'd come around." He walked me to my car but before he could escape, I said "If we're going to do this dance thing, please can we not do colour schemes or any of that full-on glamorous bullshit. Let's just wear whatever we fucking want!" He nodded, showing that he agreed with me.

"I can't wait," I heard him whisper as he kissed me on the cheek, making me blush slightly. "Bye Nessa." And with that, he walked away, leaving me pink faced and alone in the parking lot.

[night of the dance]

It was finally the night I had been waiting for, and slightly dreading, all week. School had only ended a few hours ago but now I had to go back, wearing a dress and a pair of uncomfortable ass heels, for another 4 hours. I looked up at my dress, which was hanging on my wardrobe, and sighed before pulling myself out of bed. I did some simple makeup and messed up my hair a little bit, sliding into the simple, black bodycon once I'd finished.

I checked the time, seeing it was drawing closer to 6, and threw together a fanny pack filled with some essentials. My feet carried me out of the door and down the sidewalk, taking me to school, where Dylan and I planned to meet. As I turned a corner, the tall senior came into view, drawing a small smile on my face. Once he noticed me, his arms opened, welcoming me into a hug. "Damn V, you look hot!" After giving him a twirl so he could get a better view of me, his arm settled around my waist and we disappeared inside.

The schools doors opened and music filled our ears. A crowd of students had gathered in the centre of the hall, decked out in tuxedos and poofy dresses, dancing and singing along to whatever music the DJ had put on. To be fair, it looked better then most school dances I had previously been to. "You want a drink?" Dylan shouted over the background noise and I nodded in response, watching him walk over to the refreshments. I ventured into the crowd and scanned the faces surrounding me, spotting Carl and Dom in the corner who were eating each other's faces. My eyes rolled as I turned away, walking up to the DJ booth.

"If I give you $20, will you shuffle one of my playlists from now on?" I offered him the note and he took it from me with a nod. I smirked and found it on Spotify, playing OOOUUU by Young M.A first. I watched as Carl's head immediately shot up, hearing the familiar beat, and the teachers began to exchange anxious glances as the lyrics started, making me burst into fits of laughter.

"Did you put this on?" Dylan yelled between verses once I'd returned to his side and I giggled, beginning to jump around with him. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Carl looking over at us dancing and having a good time. My eyes met his and, until I turned back to Dylan, we were completely fixed on each other. Suddenly, he was pushed by Dom, who had followed his gaze to me, and I could hear her whining from across the hall. "Dance with me, Carlyy!" She whimpered, forcing his arm around her so they could sway to the song.

[end of chapter]

ya girls currently in portugal but she's sunburnt and covered in mosquito bites,, how's ur life going