8

staying over
——————————————————
Carl took another drag from my cigarette whilst trying to put his life story together in his head. "Well, my family's been struggling for years, trying to live off of Fiona's multiple jobs. I started being a runner for my local dealer to get some extra cash but I got caught, and that's why I went to Juvi. The men from yesterday must've been sold some faulty drugs and I think they said something about one of their guys overdosing. But when you're desperate for money, you'll do anything to get it, even if it's as risky as dealing.." He scratched the back of his head and I turned to him. "I would've done the same to be honest, and don't worry, trying to provide for your family is nothing to be ashamed of." I tried reassuring him as he responded with a smile.

"I know this is kind of a big favour to ask.. but can I stay at yours tonight? I promise I'll be gone by the morning." My teeth pulled at my lip as I awaited his answer, praying I wouldn't have to sleep rough again. "Of course you can!" He exclaimed. "You know, Fiona really likes you." A grin slowly appeared on my face as I asked "Really?", becoming reassured as Carl nodded in response.

"Wow, that's a first.. Parents usually HATE me because of my 'habits'" I sighed, putting out my cigarette. "Well Fiona thinks you'd be good for me." His arm draped across my shoulders, drawing circles into my skin. We briefly exchanged a smile before spotting a familiar woman stumbling down the sidewalk.

"Shit!" I hissed as we jumped away from the window and scrambled around my room, collecting anything we'd left lying around. We made our way downstairs as quickly as we could, just as the front door opened. "Vanessa? What the fuck did I tell you? And who's this? You know, I didn't raise you to be a dirty whore!" My mom yelled, walking towards us in a fit of rage. I grabbed Carl's hand and sprinted for the basement as she chased after us. We dove onto the lawn and started bolting down the sidewalk in the direction of the Gallaghers, hearing her shouts getting further away. "If I ever see your face again, I'll kill you!" was the last thing I heard before we turned a corner, leaving her drunken, hysterical ass behind.

Once we reached Carl's, I collapsed in his yard, trying to catch my breath. "She's a fucking psycho! How do you live with her?" He sighed, joining me on the dying grass. "Well, I don't anymore." I chuckled before hearing the back door crash against the brick. "There you are! Carl, the school called and said you skipped again. If you want to stay out of juvi, you need to keep your attendance up!" Fiona fussed, gesturing for us to come inside. "And you didn't tell me we'd be having a guest, hello Vanessa!" She gave me a quick hug before walking to the stove and stirring whatever she was cooking.

"Is it cool if Nessa stays the night? Her mom kicked her out.." Carl asked. "Of course, you're always welcome here! There is a shortage of beds though, because Frank and the boys are back, so you'll have to crash on the couch." She explained which caused me to nod but Carl had a better idea. "Or she could sleep with me?" He nudged my arm with a wink which caused me to roll my eyes, and Fiona wiggled her eyebrows at us, approvingly. "Thanks again, you're a life saver!" I exclaimed, trying to change the subject, before following Carl into the living room.

[later that night]

We were sat on the couch, watching some weird action movie. Carl was staring intently at the screen as people were being blown to dust whilst I focused on my phone, gawking over pictures of Tyler The Creator. Suddenly, Carl's sister, Debbie, came in and sat with us. "Hey V, whatcha doing?" She peered over at my stalking session. "Oh my god, Tyler!" Debs squealed. Carl took his eyes off the TV to look and shook his head. "I don't understand what you see in these people, he's not even hot.." He sighed.

My jaw dropped as I pretended to act shocked. "Excuse me? Tyler is the funniest fucking person in the world and he has a better body then you'll ever have." Now it was Carl's turn to act offended, but he quickly masked it with a grin. " Shut up Nessa, you know you love me." I suddenly felt his hand brush my inner thigh, which made me freeze. Debbie observed us before leaning forward and whispering "Are you two a thing?"

I swatted Carl's hovering hand away and shook my head violently. "Of course not! Why does everyone think that?" She arched her eyebrow before replying "If you say so.." We were interrupted by a loud groan, making us divert our attention to Carl, who was scratching his corn rows and wincing in pain. "You want me to take those out?" I offered, watching as he immediately sat between my legs on the floor, desperate to free his hair from the braids. We were like that for at least an hour until I'd unbraided everything, revealing some long, brown locks.

"Damn Gallagher, I'd say you're almost hot with that hair." I teased, twirling a few strands around my finger. Before he could make a sly comment, Fiona strolled down the stairs. "It's getting late. Here's some bedding for the couch and I'm sure Carl can lend you some clothes to wear." She said before disappearing again. We exchanged glances before wondering upstairs and into his room, where he threw me some clothes to pull on. I smiled gratefully and, once we were both dressed for bed, turned back towards the landing so I could sleep on the couch as planned.

However, before I could even reach the door, two strong arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back towards his bed. "I'm not letting my princess sleep on the couch." He whispered into my neck, sending chills down my spine. "Carl-" I tried to argue but he shut me up by trapping me against a nearby wall. We stayed like that for a second, staring up at eachother as our hearts raced, until he broke the silence. "I've always wanted to do this.." Before I knew it, he had closed the gap between us, smashing his lips into mine.

At first, I was surprised by his sudden display of affection but, after hesitating for a few seconds, I kissed back. My fingers ran through his hair as I felt his hands gripping my lower back. Once we pulled away for air, Carl whispered "Jump", signalling for me to wrap my legs around his torso. We moved towards the bed and he laid me down, continuing to make out with me from on top.

Suddenly, a lamp switched on from the opposite side of the room. We pulled away again and chuckled as a young, mixed-raced boy peeked his head over the side of the top bunk. "Sorry Liam!" Carl whispered before turning back to me and pecking my lips one last time. I felt a weight being lifted off my body as he rolled over and started spooning me. "Goodnight princess" was the last thing I heard before dozing off, allowing my mind to rest after the kiss we'd just shared.

[end of chapter]

wow this chapter took me so fucking long to write and idek why.. i wanted to make it a lot saucier without it feeling forced, which was fairly hard tbh. but oh well,, enjoy!