28

one last goodbye
——————————————————
Today was the day. My thoughts had kept me up all night so I was running on 3 hours sleep, which was obvious due to the dark bags under my eyes. I stumbled out of bed and opened my window, lighting a cigarette to calm my nerves but all I could think about was the fact that Carl was leaving in a few hours. I used this time to scroll through my phone and reply to any messages I'd received over night before texting him.

me: hey, i'll be over soon 💘

I stubbed out the cigarette and closed my window again, tossing my phone on the bed as I wasn't bothered to wait for a reply. My hands invaded my closet, pulling out several sweaters and pants that I could change into. I settled on an oversized red hoodie and some black shorts, throwing them on and finishing my usual morning routine. After checking myself out in the mirror one last time, I grabbed my phone and made my way out of the door, heading in the direction of the Gallagher's. My gut twisted as I made it to their porch, which was already covered with bags, so I stood outside for a moment, trying to compose myself before knocking.

"Vanessa! I'm so glad you made it." Fiona greeted me with a hug before letting me into the living room. I took a seat on the couch and made small talk with her until we heard an eruption of chaos coming down the stairs. Ian and Lip were bickering, Liam was in tears and Debbie was trying to calm him down but ended up just yelling at the kid. Carl ran down after them but slowed his pace once he saw me, a smile beginning to spread across his face. "Hey V, thanks for being here." His arm wrapped around me and I felt him plant a kiss on my forehead. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." I replied softly before following the others outside.

We all took a seat on the porch steps as Fiona handed round a bottle of cheap champagne to celebrate. Ian pulled out a Swiss Army Knife from his pocket and handed it to Carl, starting a long exchange of presents. Lip was next, who handed him a small book on the military, followed by Fiona who produced a flip phone so that he could secretly contact us whilst he was away. Debbie also pushed him a box containing a new pair of sneakers and he went around the circle, hugging and thanking his siblings. Finally, it was my turn and I looked at my feet in shame. "I feel bad.. I didn't bring you anything." Carl lifted my chin so we could make eye contact and he shook his head. "You brought yourself, that's the only gift I need." Once again, he'd made me go soft and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest.

However, I didn't stay 'soft' for long as the sound of the coach could be heard in the distance. Everyone got up from the wooden stairs and helped to make a pile of bags on the sidewalk, ready to be thrust onto the bus. My eyes glazed over as Carl made his way down the line, saying his final goodbyes and giving long hugs. "I can't believe I'm going to miss the Carl Gallagher.." I chuckled once he arrived in front of me. "A few months ago, I hated your fucking guts but now I'm stood here crying over you." His arms embraced me in the tightest, longest hug I'd ever experienced and he whispered "I'll be back before you know it princess, I promise." He held out his pinky and I giggled, linking mine in his. "And before I go, I want you to know that.. I love you Vanessa. No matter how far apart we are, I will always love you." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He just told me he loved me..

*BEEP BEEP*

Before I could respond, the coach driver pressed his horn impatiently, indicating that it was Carl's time to leave. Ian and Lip finished throwing his bags in the hold and Fiona came over to walk him to the bus. "Bye!" His siblings shouted and waved as he made his way up the stairs but before the doors could fully shut him away, I yelled "Wait!" My body bolted forward and I found myself in front of him again, staring into his eyes. "I love you too." I whispered before leaning in and giving him one last kiss.

"Hurry up, I've got 20 other kid to pick up." The driver grumbled and we pulled away, giggling to ourselves. I stepped back onto the sidewalk and watched Carl take his seat by one of the windows, pressing his face against it and waving as the doors closed. Debbie ran over and clutched onto me as the bus engine roared, starting to set off on its journey again. We sprinted after it, frantically waving and shouting, until it reached the end of block where I collapsed, catching my last glimpse of the vehicle turning at a junction.

And that was it, he was gone, whisked away to the countryside to train with the military. He may have said he was going to come back but little did we know, that was the last time we were going to see each other ever again..

[end of chapter]

'ever again' is a little bit dramatic because guess what,, there's a sequel that's already up and completed. this last chapter was so emotional for me to write and it made me realise how much i adore writing so yeah, i really hope i can produce some more quality books in the future. ily guys with all my heart and i should be editing the sequel soon so stay tuned 💘