26

bucket list
——————————————————
My body thrashed about on the narrow couch as I tried to get comfortable but the throbbing pain in my head made it impossible. I rubbed my eyes and tried to adjust them to the light, eventually focusing on the messy coffee table beside me. My brows knitted together as I realised I wasn't in my room or at Layla's house, this was the Gallagher living room. Noises came from the kitchen so I tried to sit up but my head hit the pillow again as the room began to spin.

"Morning." Carl said from the foot of the couch as he peered down at me. "Sleep well?" I shook my head and propped myself up using my elbows. "How did you get me here? Weren't you too drunk to drive?" The taste of vomit lingered in my mouth and I made a disgusted face before downing a glass of water that sat on the table. "That senior guy you hang with helped. You know, he's not as bad as I thought." I chuckled at the thought of Carl and Dylan bonding whilst I laid in the back of a car, throwing up everywhere.

I was snapped out of my head by a phone being thrusted in my face. "Are you up for some fun?" Carl asked as I focused on the list that had been typed into his notes.

Bucket List:
- egg dominique's house

"Are we in fourth grade?" I chuckled as I skimmed over the first task. Suddenly, a box of eggs fell into my lap and I looked up to see Carl smirking down at me. "C'mon V, don't be pussy. Let's get that bitch back for everything she's ever done to us!" He tried to persuade me and I eventually gave in, allowing him to help me off the couch. Once I'd balanced myself, he tossed me some clothes to change into and soon enough, we were ready to pile into his Range Rover

It didn't take us long to reach Dominique's street and we parked a few houses down from hers in case we needed to make a quick exit. "Imagine each egg is something Dom has done." Carl explained as he handed me one before placing the box on a nearby wall. We assumed our positions and started throwing the eggs, hitting doors, windows and walls. "That's for the pregnancy!" I heard him yell after his first shot so I continued with "And that's for having a dry ass weave!"

We both burst into fits of laughter but quickly recovered so we could keep egging the house. As we were about to dash the last of the eggs, one of the windows opened to reveal a tall, scary-looking man in a dressing gown. "Get the fuck out of here before I call the cops!" He threatened as Carl and I exchanged a quick glance. We sprinted towards the Range Rover and dived in, breathing uncontrollably as our hearts raced. "This is the best hangover cure." I panted as the engine roared, allowing us to escape before he could catch up with us. Carl passed me his phone so I could see what was next on the list.

Bucket List:
egg dominique's house
- get a tattoo

I looked up at him, noticing he was already smirking. "Oh god, I should've brought the rest of last nights vodka." I joked, not feeling very excited for the pain we were about to witness. Maybe agreeing to this 'bucket list' wasn't the smartest idea..

[at the tattoo parlour]

The needle continued to dig into my skin, causing sharp pricks and a constant vibration to spread throughout my head and ear. Small groans escaped my lips and I tried to distract myself by looking at Carl, who was anxiously waiting his turn. My tattoo was meant to be a few flowers bunched up behind my ear, which would make it easy to hide from my mom but the pain was making me regret my decision. Carl wanted a gun on his hand and a 'V' on his wrist but I persuaded him out of the last one as name/initial tattoos never ended well.

"You're done." The tattoo artist muttered and I let out a sigh of relief, waiting for him to wrap it. As I stood up, my hand patted the bench and I grinned at Carl, watching him stare reluctantly at it. "Who's the pussy now?" I mocked his words from earlier as I lightly pushed him closer to the seat before walking over to a catalogue of designs. Once he'd finished explaining what he wanted, the familiar sound of the needle filled the shop again, followed by several groans.

"Nessa, come here please!" Carl whined, dragging me away from the book. I took a seat next to the bench and rested my head on my arms, feeling his free hand running through my hair. "What's up loser? Is it too painful?" I pouted, letting him squeeze my hand to distract himself from the needle. My eyes lingered on his face as I took in his features for the first time in months. The way the skin creased between his eyebrows, the way his hazel eyes watered over and the way he bit his lip. All these factors caused my expression to soften and the corners of my mouth turned upwards into a smile. 'You're going soft.' I told myself, shaking the grin off my face before he could see it.

We sat like that for another hour before his tattoo was finished and wrapped up, giving us the chance to pay and return to the car. "Are we going anywhere else?" I asked as a yawn slipped out and Carl nodded. "Would you like to tell me this mysterious place?" He remained silent and I rolled my eyes, focusing on the sky that continued to darken as we drove.

Eventually, he swerved into an empty parking lot and cut the engine, turning to face me. "Would you like to explain why we're here because I'm slightly scared right now.." My voice was low and serious as anxiety grew in the pit of my stomach. I felt for the door handle and Carl saw, which caused him to look at me with a confused expression. "Vanessa, it's okay. I didn't bring you here so that I could come onto you.. Do you see that pool up there?" I sat back in my seat and relaxed with a smirk on my face. "That's more like it Gallagher."

[end of chapter]

wow i rewrote two chapters in one night,, that's new