23

the biggest mistake
——————————————————
[vanessa's pov]

I knew this was going to happen. As soon as I'd let Carl in, something (more like someone) had come along to fuck everything up. Although I was angry at him and Dom for getting us in this mess, I was mad at myself too. I was mad that I let my guard down, that I'd given him what he'd wanted for so long.. Now he'd be spending his time with Dominique again, looking after their little love child whilst I sat at home, trying to pick up the pieces.

I sighed as my thoughts started to take over. Maybe I was getting ahead of myself. This didn't mean it was over between Carl and I, it just meant there would be other responsibilities that he'd have to attend to.

*RING RING RING*

My head shot up as the bell sounded, indicating English was over. After gathering my things, I disappeared into the crowded hallway and made my way towards the restroom, having a few spare minutes before next period. The room seemed empty until I locked myself in a stall, suddenly hearing a very familiar voice on the phone to someone.

"I can't believe he fell for it. Carl thinks I'm pregnant!" Dominique cackled from another stall and I froze, listening to their conversation. "Yes, the test was a great idea. You're a genius Bre!" My hand quickly covered my mouth to stop any noise escaping as all I wanted to do was yell at that skank. "Oh, I don't know. We'll think about the baby when it's time. I've got the bumps covered for now though." She seemed so happy with herself and, in that moment, I wanted to knock her out. I snatched up my bag from the floor and stormed out of the restrooms, trying to find Carl so I could explain everything.

I found him by a locker, distracted by something on his phone so I snuck up behind him, growling "Dominique is fucking lying. She's using a fake pregnancy to get between us again!" Carl turned around with a startled look on his face before furrowing his brows. "What are you on about? She showed me a test and everything." He chuckled but I shook my head in frustration. "The test wasn't hers. It was Bre Keller's, you know that senior who's pregnant with her second kid? I just heard Dom confessing it in the restroom." I tried explaining it to him but he just wouldn't believe me. "Listen V, I know this news is a lot-"

"No, you listen!" I cut him off as my voice grew louder. "I heard everything with my own ears. Do you think I'm lying or something? Do you think I'd make this shit up because if you do then we're going to have some serious issues. What happened to trusting eachother and not letting that sly bitch get between us again?" People started staring as they walked past us, trying to eavesdrop on our argument. Carl took a step back, his face becoming red with anger. "Nobody else seems to be coming up to me with such obscene ideas so what do you expect me to think? For all I know, you could be jealous that the kid isn't yours or that I'll be spending more time with Dom. Just get over yourself Nessa, I have other people in my life that I need to take care of now, not just you and your little lies."

I looked up at him in shock, eventually lifting my hand and smacking him in the face. "Fuck you Gallagher! When Dom pushes out a baby from Toys R Us, don't come running back to me because guess what, I won't be there. You're the biggest mistake I've ever fucking made!" I pushed past him, making sure our shoulders collided, before walking in the direction of my next class. "That's not what you were saying the other night V!" He shouted after me but I just stuck my middle finger up at him, disappearing into a classroom.

[after school]

"Vanessa, wait up!" I flinched at the sound of Dominique's whiney voice calling after me. She was the last person, other than Carl, I wanted to talk to right now. "You can't run from me!" Her nails gripped into my shoulder and I spun around, ready to knock a bitch out. "Don't fucking touch me." My voice was low and aggressive but it didn't seem to intimidate her one bit. "I heard about your fight with Carl. Jealousy is a real bitch, isn't it?" Her eyebrows raised and a smirk grew on her face as she spoke to me in her most patronising voice.

"You would know, wouldn't you? You can't stand to see me happy with Carl so you have to fake a pregnancy to get his fucking attention. This game won't last forever Dom, he knows the difference between a human and a $5 baby doll." I snarled, trying to continue my walk home. "Oh sweetie, I'll show you a real baby." She yelled with a wink and in return, I shot her my fakest smile.

Somehow, she'd managed to pull the wool over Carl's eyes but he'd soon see.

[end of chapter]

oh boy, no relationship is safe in this story.. but now y'all know what's really going on with this pregnancy so ya know a bitch is about to be exposed ☕️