14

king and queen
——————————————————
[carl's pov]

Vanessa had been dancing with some senior all night and she'd never looked happier. Her smile was as radiant as her highlighter in the school lights and I couldn't take my eyes off her, especially with that dress she was wearing. Instead of having her on my arm, I had clingy Dominique whining at me all night and it was killing me.

"Attention students," The principle appeared with a microphone, cutting off the music that the DJ had been playing. "It's that time again where we announce the schools king and queen, appointed by you!" Everyone went silent as they crossed their fingers, hoping to hear their names being called. I rested against a nearby wall, knowing that Dom and some jock would win like they did every year, waiting for the music to resume once everything had been announced.

"So, our queen is.." Everyone drum-rolled until the principle signalled for them to be silent. "Vanessa Wilkes?" She looked confused as she read the name but everyone started clapping and cheering, except Dominique who glared at her. V stumbled onstage and smiled down at the crowd, blowing sarcastic kisses that made her giggle. I whistled, which caught her attention, and we made eye contact again, sending chills down my spine. 'You fucked up..' I thought to myself before waiting for the king to be announced.

"And to accompany the queen, our king is.." Now that I knew Nessa had been crowned, I secretly prayed to hear my name, giving me the opportunity to clear things up with her. "Carl Gallagher!" My eyes opened and adrenaline rushed through me as I started to make my way to the stage. Dom tried to claim me by leaning in for a kiss but I turned my face to the side so she pecked me on the cheek. That was it, we were done. Once the principle had given me the plastic crown, she said "Our king and queen will now have their first dance!" into the microphone. Me and Vanessa exchanged looks before bursting into laughter, hearing the usual prom music play.

"Okay, enough of this cheesy shit." She sighed, taking over the music and putting on a song we both knew too well. As the first few chords of Controlla filled the hall, a space cleared for us on the dance floor as we stepped down into the middle of the crowd, moving our hips to the beat. I pulled her closer until their was barely any space between us, hearing guys whistling and seeing the teachers shocked expressions.

As the song reached its last chorus, people joined in and we shouted the lyrics, becoming one huge huddle in the centre of the hall. "I missed you." I whispered in Vanessa's ear and, although the music was loud, I could tell she'd heard me by the way she wriggled in my grip. Her date came over and led her away from the crowd, probably to the refreshments table, but after they'd been gone for over 20 minutes, I started searching for them.

As I turned towards the exit, two sets of claws dug into my back, stopping me from going any further. "What the fuck Carl! You've been eyeing up and dancing with that slut all night, even though you said you fucking hated her!" Dominique growled and, as I tried to escape again, leapt in front of me. "Why are you runnng from me Carly? I thought you were mine!" I couldn't stand to listen to that whiny voice anymore so I snapped "No Dom, I'm not and I never was. If it makes you feel any better, you were meant to be my ticket to getting Nessa back, okay? Now let me through, for fuck sake!" I watched her face drop, giving me time to quickly slip past her and out of the school doors.

I caught a glimpse of a girl in a black dress, who was walking away from the school, which I soon realised was V. "Vanessa! Wait up!" My voice echoed down the street and she turned, taking one quick look at me before continuing to walk. I sprinted down the sidewalk and caught up with her, grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her into me. "Where are you going? There's still an hour left.." Her eyes were glazed over with tears and she tried to ignore me but I wouldn't let her go. "Come on baby, what's wrong?" My chin rested on V's head as I tried to hug her but she managed to pull away and roll her eyes at me.

"Don't 'baby' me, Carl. You can ignore me and fuck that skank, Dominique, but as soon as I talk to a boy, you get all jealous and over-protective. You're so toxic!" She tried to hold back her tears but they'd already started cascading down her cheeks, getting heavier as she spoke. "I know V, I really fucked up and I'm so sorry but I'm going to prove myself to you, I promise." My hand reached out to hers but she took another step back, shaking her head in disappointment. "You've really showed your true colours.." And with that, Nessa was off down the sidewalk again, leaving me dumb-founded on the pavement.

I was going to have to work a lot harder if I wanted her back.

[end of chapter]

comment some good songs that y'all are into atm,, i love listening to new music :)