Chapter 9

Finding Out…. Birthday

** Ethan **

I have been busy with work and the church and have been talking with a lot of at risk children. I hurt my soul when the first day I meet a 13-year-old little boy and he told me his brother got him into this life and he hated it his father wasn’t around and his mother constantly told him that he was going to be nothing like his brother. When he asked me to help him I quickly said yes. Two hours later I got a call that he was in the hospital fighting for his life. He was caught in between two rival gangs shoot out. I go see him every day since he is in a coma and has no one else I forward everything to me. His mom came once to see if he was dead and left. I know now I am the only one he has in this world. 

I am brought out of my thoughts when my phone vibrated on my desk. I looked and seen Curtis was calling me. We talked and he finally understood what I was saying.

“Hey Curtis.”

“E, what’s good?”

“Nothing about to go to the grocery store. I am having this dinner with my parents Saturday to tell them that I am done with them wanting and trying to get me with Chloe.”

“They still at it. They are convincing my church members to jump on this bandwagon.  It is not going to happen. “

“I hear ya! I just checking to make sure we still on for dinner Sunday?”

“Of course, I can’t wait to meet your new lady.”

“Good. What time are you going to the hospital to see Tristan?”

“Before I go to the grocery store.” Curtis has been checking in on him also. “Why you going or have you been?”

“I just got back. No change he is still in a coma.”

“Let me get going. I will see you tomorrow.”

“Ight. Be safe.”

“You also.” Then I hung up grab my keys heading to the hospital. 

{at Wal-Mart, grocery store}

Pushing the buggy down an aisle I hear someone talking and I know that voice anywhere. “I know my birthday is Saturday but I just want to be by myself and besides I need to finish packing for my trip.” I had completely forgot about that and I need finish packing for my trip to Florida.” I had completely forgot about her trip. I am just happy she is not moving.  “We go out every year for my birthday this year I just want to do something different.  I’ll call you back when I get home. Bye”

I saw her head towards the meat section and before I knew it my feet were headed in her direction.

“Journee is that you?” “Seriously Ethan. “She looks at me and walks away. “I’m sorry Journee yes I knew it was you. I just wanted to say hey to you.” She smiled. “Hey Ethan.” What are you doing here? Wait I didn’t mean it like that. I mean what are you looking for or getting?” “I live alone I have to cook for myself to eat.” “How ‘bout I cook for you Saturday night and you not go to work?” “You mean like a date?” I was shocked how she said it. “No.” I said after a little bit. “Good because I don’t do dates or relationships.” “What was that a few weeks back?” “It was a I’m sorry dinner nothing more and I haven’t seen him since. Can’t say the same about you though.” She looked then started to walk away.

I jogged towards her. “My parents want me to be with Chloe. That is not who God has for me.” “Who does God have for you?” she asked without looking at me. She is looking at some meat while comparing pricing. “Honestly I don’t know. Now about Saturday.” “No.” She responded sharply. “May I ask why?” “I have to work.” I know she is lying and it made me mad but I couldn’t show it.

“Journee I didn’t mean to make you upset.” “It’s fine Ethan. I’m done and ‘bout to go.” I watch as she smiled and turn to go to the check out. “Bye, Journee.”

**Journee**

I knew I shouldn’t have lied to Ethan but I just want to be by myself for my birthday. I’m surround but alone and lonely.

Comment:

Vote: