°°Four°°

Author's Note-- I changed some of the lyrics from "No Me Diga" to fit the plot of this story.

       After a couple hours of tending to women's hair [and listening to their conversations], I practically knew everyone in Washington Heights. The women here talk about every chisme there is to tell, such as Yeseña and Julio's relationship status, the girl who used to live in my apartment [Vanessa], and the person who apparently sleeps with everyone: Yolanda. According to the women, she's a skank. Once the sun began to fall, I decided I might visit Usnavi and then head home—at least until a woman with dark black hair and a kind smile walked into the salon, Daniela and Carla instantly sitting her down on a seat. Daniela played around with the woman's hair. "You need a new hairdo, Nina—this one is getting old."

       Carla brought out some hairspray and hair gel. "Nina, you look so pretty."

       "Concha."

       "Linda."

       Daniela and Carla looked at each other and smirked. "Tell me something I don't know." Their smirks turned to scowls, as if they had just recalled something disgusting. "Vieja!"

       "Suicia!"

       "Cabrona!"

       "Tell me something I don't know."

       Daniela messed around with Nina's scalp. "A little on the top."

       "A little on the side." Carla brushed Nina's hair.

       The woman sitting in the seat looked up at them and grinned, a glimmer in her eyes. "A little bit of news you've heard around the barrio!"

       "Tell me something I don't know."

       "Bueno," started Daniela, sneaking a glance in my direction. "You didn't hear it from me, but some little birdy told me Usnavi had sex with Yolanda!"

       Carla nudged me in the ribs. "No me diga!"

       "I've only known Usnavi for three days, but I'm pretty sure that he'd never go out with a skank like that." I said, raising my voice a bit. "Please, tell me you're joking!"

       "Ok." Shrugged Daniela before smirking. "Just wanted to see what you'd say."

       "Tell me something I don't know." Daniela, Carla, and Nina made kissing noises at me.

       I pouted and, like a child, stomped my foot on the ground. "Whatever. I don't care."

       The three women looked at each other and sighed. "Ay bendito."

       "Nina, I hear you've been going out with Benny." Daniela raised her eyebrows.

       "And what do you hear?"

       "I hear plenty." She leaned against the salon chair. "They say he's got quite a big-" she pumped her fists back and forth. "-taxi."

       Me and Carla looked at Nina smugly. "No me diga!"

       "Ok, I don't want to know where you heard all that." Nina glanced at the floor, slight discomfort noticeable in her expression.

       Carla tapped my arm. "I don't think I know what you mean."

       "Carla, he's packing a stretch limousine." Daniela motioned ahead of her hips with open hands. I smiled to myself thinking 'what the hell is going on through her mind? Does she find out about all of this by merely listening to the ladies that come into this salon everyday?'

       I wonder if these women know that there is at least one lady in the same room talking crap about them. What would they say when they find out? Unless they know already, that would be something interesting to witness.

       "Tell me something I don't know."

       Carla shrugged. "'Long as he keeps it clean."

       "Ay, Dios mio." Me and Daniela looked at each other, questioning what else we could be referencing to when we say 'big taxi' and 'stretch limousine'.
°°°°°°°°°°
*DING*

       Usnavi popped up behind the counter, grinning once he saw me. "Hi, Y/N. Did you overhear anything interesting on your first day at the salon?"

       "Well," I walked towards the counter, "Nina is dating Benny, but I'm sure you probably already knew that, Rosario is engaged to Lenny, and—although I doubt it—Daniela told me something that made me, well, think." Usnavi raised his eyebrows and motioned for me to continue. "She said that you had sex with Yolanda."

       His eyes widened. "No, no, no! I have not had any type of intimate actions with any woman! I mean, it's not like they haven't asked or anything, or-- you know, I'm gonna stop talking now." He pushed a light coffee towards me. "I made it differently this time, I hope you like it."

       I smiled at him and raised the cup to my lips, taking a sip. The hot substance slightly burned my throat; it felt good, nonetheless. The coffee tasted of vanilla and, well, coffee. In fact, it resembled the type of coffee my grandmother would make. 'Tres cucharadas de azucar cafe, cinco cremas, y dos cucharaditas de vainilla hase que el corazon se sienta mejor' [three spoonfuls of brown sugar, five cremes, and two teaspoons of vanilla makes the heart feel better] is what she would say. A small grin found its way onto my lips, making me realize that I had closed my eyes in the bliss of savoring the sweet taste of the coffee. I opened my e/c eyes. "It tastes wonderful, just like my grandma used to make it."

       "Y-Yeah, the ladies always say I remind them of their grandmother." Usnavi's eyes widened as he realized what he had said. He smacked his forehead and rested his head on his hand.

      I giggled. "H-How did you know?"

       "F/N came in while you were at work and told me." He blushed when he saw that I was smiling at him. "I-I'm sorry."

       "For what?"

       "For acting this way around you. I apologize if this makes you uncomfortable."

       I leaned across the counter and planted a kiss on his cheek, taking his hand in mine while Usnavi turned redder. "You aren't making me uncomfortable." My lips left his cheek and my hand separated from his. I grabbed the cup of coffee and headed towards the door. "Thank you, Usnavi."

       I exited the bodega, leaving Usnavi with eyes that screamed 'Dios mio.' A laugh left my mouth as I thought about his face when I kissed his cheek. Who could ever respond that way to a little gesture like that?