°°Thirty°°

Thirty Years Later

       Turn away

       "Please," I croaked, "Don't look Rosie." The green eyed adult before me sobbed into her husband's shirt. "I don't want you to see this."

       On the other bed next to me, I saw him, a pale color staining his face as the I.V beeped away.

       If you could get me a drink of water cause my lips are chapped and faded

       My niece crouched down to place the straw between my lips, a tear rolling down her face.

       Call my Aunt Marie. Help her gather all my things

       Everyone's related to me has been visiting a lot lately. If this was what it took to get my family reunited I would've attempted to get this a long time ago.

       He glanced towards me, his gray stubble swerving upwards as he smiled.

       And bury me in all my favorite colors. My sisters and my brothers

       As an act of making the last few days happy for me, they moved our beds towards us. He has tried to get me to plant one last kiss on his lips, but I can't.

       Still, I will not kiss you

       He tries and he tries and he tries—I reject him every time.

       Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you

       Rosie clutched onto my hand, her lips pressing on the top of it. She looked in his direction, mouthing a sweet 'I love you.'

       Now, turn away

       I've begged my niece to leave, but she is relentless. David has attempted to talk to the doctors, searching for anyway that this could be cured. They've assured him that there's nothing they can do.

       "Mom." He sobbed.

       "Sh, I know, I know. Sh, I know, I know."

       "They said there's nothing they can do. I-I'm sorry, I-I tried to and I just couldn't!"

       "You did everything just right."

       Cause I'm awful just to see—cause all my hair's abandoned all my body

       The doctors have injected hundreds of pain-killing vaccines and medicines into my system and his. None of it helps.

       All, my agony.

      My twelve-year old self would be amazed at my current self. Know that I will never marry. I didn't plan on marrying anyone when I was younger. Look at me now. Married to the most wonderful man I've ever met. Him.

       Baby, I'm just soggy from the chemo

       All of the therapy we had to go through, for nothing. We're gonna end up in the same place eventually.

       But counting down the days to go

       The calendar on the bedside table taunts me everyday saying 'it's so close. You're almost there.' He reassures me that we'll see each other again. He says that no matter where we go, we'll always be there for each other.

       This just ain't living, and I just hope you know that if you say goodbye today, I'd ask you to be true

       So many people come to visit us, but less than half of them seem to truly mean it. He tells me that I'm exaggerating. It was always comments like those that kept me sane. 

       "You know," he explained, "I love you more than anything in this world." His hand reached over to hold mine.

       I smiled at him. "I love you too."

       "De Todas Las Cosas Buenas qué me han pasado, this is the best one." [From all the good things that have happened to me]

       A tear squeezed itself out of the corner of my eye; I looked up to the ceiling. "How can you think positively in a time like this?"

       "Why do you insist on seeing the bad in this, Y/N?" He breathed, his lungs giving away slightly before he turned to look at me from his resting position.

       My bottom lip trembled, tears forming in my eyes. His dark eyes softened when he heard a sob escape my lips. "Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you."

       I felt my heart begin to palpitate quicker—the sound of my heart rate fastening filled the room. He looked at me in fear. His heart rate monitor beeped faster as well. Doctors swarmed into our area, bringing out machines and injections.

       My eyes caught his one last time. "I love you, 'Snavi."

       His dark hues rolled to the back of his head; his heart rate flatlined. I could hear distant screams and sobs as a white, blinding light filled my vision.

       "I love you too, mi flor."

       An eerie, flat sound filled my ears.

       Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you