°°Seventeen°°

Author's Note-- I'm very sorry for the shortness of this chapter and that I did not publish a chapter yesterday. I was watching the Grammy's and completely forgot. Anywho, I just finished the first chapter in the new book I'll publish once I finish this book. To be honest, I'm crying because I know what comes next and it hurts. A series of #PainFic books will be published once this book is completed. Be ready.......

       "Who?" I questioned. "Who's back?"

°°°°°°°°°°

       Usnavi tugged on my arm, dragging me out of the bodega and towards his home. The residents of Washington Heights eyed us. Why the hell are they looking at us like that?"

       A woman approached us just as we made it five paces away from his house. She slowly stepped closer. "Hello, Usnavi."

       "W-We have things to do." Usnavi pushed past the woman, gulping as he hastily fiddled with his keys and shoved the correct one into the keyhole. He hurriedly dragged me inside.

*SLAM*

       The slamming door rattled the sofa in the living room.

°°°°°°°°°°

       Usnavi led me into his bedroom, crouching down to a box level and pulling out a large container. The lid popped right off. He rummaged through the large amounts of photos and video tapes.

       Before handing me a memory book of some sort, Usnavi grabbed my hands and kissed the top of them. "P-Promise me you won't leave."

       "Why would I le-"

       "Just promise!" I nodded, slightly taken aback from his unusual outburst. I must've done something wrong--Usnavi never acts this way around anyone. He reluctantly placed the book in my hands, the red-painted leather cover staining them.

       The decaying pictures displayed a couple holding hands, love evident in their eyes. I felt the glass from my shattered heart fall to the pit of my stomach. Usnavi was the one hand-holding with someone. I felt tears brim my eyes. Why would he show me this? "Th-That's the girl we b-bumped into earlier." I looked up at Usnavi with glossy eyes. "Is that Vanessa?"

       The man in the room nodded with caution, as if a harsh or incorrect movement would cause me to crack. "D-Do you still love her?"

       "N-No, no!" Usnavi clutched my hands bringing them up to his face. "I-I love you. Always and forever."

       Although he said those words, their true meaning didn't reflect on his eyes. He doesn't mean it. I know that. Or maybe it's just my cautious instinct. He wouldn't lie to me, right?

°°°°°°°°°°

       "Carla?"

       "Yea?"

       "Did Usnavi and Vanessa love each other? Like, a lot?" I questioned. The two ladies of the salon exchanged glances--their minds contemplated whether to tell me half the truth or the whole truth.

       Daniela shrugged. "Bueno, you'll find out sooner or later."

       "About what?"

       "Vanessa was Usnavi's first love, first girlfriend, first unreachable goal, and his first ex." She explained. "He loved her to the point where he stayed in Washington Heights because she asked him to. After Abuela Claudia perished--que descanse en paz--Usnavi was planning on moving back to the Dominican Republic with the money his Abuela left him. In the end, Vanessa kept him here. Didn't serve him any good, though, she moved downtown and we haven't seen her in two years."

       Remaining yet hidden tears from earlier surfaced. He loved her. She kept him here in Washington Heights. He wouldn't have done that for me, I'm sure of it. He loved her.

°°°°°°°°°°

       Usnavi rushed towards me, pecking my lips as his hands courageously trailed up and down my waist. "L-Let's go on a date."

       "What?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him. What's with his sudden burst of bravery? It's always me pulling the damn moves. "What's gotten into you?"

       "Nothing!" He rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed about his dorkish reaction. "Same club."

       "Same time?"

       "Yup, tomorrow."

       I grabbed onto his ruffled button-down, holding the fabric in my hands. His shirt stretched a bit as I pulled him towards me--our lips met in a soft kiss. Usnavi's hands kept themselves on my waist; they hadn't left. He pressed my small frame towards his.

       We eventually ended the kiss, our foreheads resting against each other's. "See you tomorrow, 'Snavi."

       I walked away from him--the warm wind entered the bodega when I swung the door open. Usnavi gulped. "Yeah, tomorrow."