Chapter 3: The Power Within Her

Third Person POV

     "There's no doubt about it—it's the Great Grimm of Darkness!" Summer exclaims over the strong wind that came with the Great Grim's roar.

     They aren't too far away from their house, having just come back from their little trip to the shrine when the greatest Grimm in history arrived right before their eyes. They only took the little trip to the shrine to buy some time for Yang and her babysitter to set up the house for Faye's 3rd birthday.

     "What the hell does it need from us?!" Taiyang shouts angrily as he tightens his grip on the now crying little Faye. He places a hand over her eyes to keep her from witnessing such a frightening creature. "I don't know! All we can do is fight right now. Leading it to our house is out of the question. Yang and Ruby are there—we can't put them in danger too!"

     "Yeah," Taiyang agrees easily, "but can we really hope to defeat something that no one else could?!" Summer doesn't know how to answer that because her husband is right. Saying the Grimm is strong would be an understatement. It's just on a completely different level. "We don't have a choice. We have to try!"

     "Papa, wha's going on?" Faye sniffles in dismay at the loud roars she hears. "It's alright, darling. We'll keep you safe. No need to cry, your mama and papa are here for you," Taiyang comforts the child, never once removing his hand from her eyes. The Great Grimm lifts his clawed hand and brings it down with a force of an army.

     "Haaaaaaah!" Summer lets out a battle cry as she leaps for the Grimm's claws and counters it with her weapon. "You're not touching my precious family!" she says with determination. "Taiyang! Take Faye, and go! Run as far as you can! Keep her safe. I'll take care of things here! Even buying you guys some time should do you good."

     "I can't leave you," Taiyang protests in a wavering voice. "Yes, you can! To save our daughter, Taiyang! You will! What you can't do is let Faye die!" Summer shouts. The blond huntsman hesitantly follows his wife's instructions and turns around.

     "At least promise me you won't die," he begs. Summer tilts her head to the side and smirks. "Of course! As long as you promise to keep Faye safe." She returns her full attention to the Grimm and gestures for him to leave. "Now go!"

     Taiyang races through the forest, determined to take his dear, dear daughter to a safe place. A piercing scream breaks his focus enough for him to stumble slightly. "Summer," he whispers, terrified for his wife. He considers going back but looks down at Faye and his resolve to get her to safety wins. He couldn't let Faye get hurt. Pursing his lips, he solidifies his choice and keeps running.

     A roar that sounds closer than it should reaches his ears and he can only try to go faster. He will not stop until his child is safe. God knows he can't be thinking of Summer at that moment. For if he did, he might just do something foolish and run back to her.

    Taiyang clutches Faye close to him as he's suddenly pushed back by a significant force. "Get away!!!" he screams desperately and throws his weapon at the Grimm. It roars in pain when the weapon penetrates the scales and hits Taiyang with its tail.

     The hunter slams into a tree and coughs out the blood that forces its way up to his throat. "Ugh.." he groans at the agonizing pain coming from his back. He frantically sweeps his hands all over Faye just to make sure she's not injured as he had been crushing the child with his arms just earlier. Faye's hands dig into her father's shirt and her body curls around the man in obvious fear. Thankfully, Taiyang notes, it seems that there is not a single scratch on her.

     Taiyang pants heavily and realizes he can't get up. His back is causing temporary (or what he hoped was temporary) paralysis for his legs. Faye cries at another loud roar of the Great Grimm and tightens her hold on Taiyang. "Papa, I'm scared," Faye whimpers, burying her head away from the noise. He has to get her to safety, but what is he to do when his legs don't cooperate.

     The Grimm leaps forward with another great roar, and in each passing second, the tension in the air around Taiyang grows rapidly as he frantically moves away from Grimm. Unable to escape, the Great Grimm slams into them, Taiyang desperately trying to shield Faye away but terribly failing. "NOOOOOOOOO!"

     "TAIYANG! FAYE!" screams a woman as her injured body arrives right after the scene. She looks at Faye with wide eyes, just as Taiyang stares up at her. Faye is strangely levitating in the air, surrounded by flashes of silver-black lightning. Summer's mind immediately racks up her brain for an explanation of what's happening.

     Black tears pour out of the little girl's blood-red eyes, and when her mouth opens, the mighty roar of the Great Grimm is heard—albeit not as loud as before. "W-What the hell?" Summer mutters, unable to lift her weapon against her child but not knowing how to get that thing out of her. 

     Faye drops suddenly from her levitating form as the silver-black bolts around her vanishes. Taiyang immediately pushes himself off the ground with his arms and throws himself below Faye, making a cushion for her fall. Summer inhales and exhales slowly but deeply and gazes upon her daughter in scared wonder. She was still crying black tears, and her eyes were still bloody red in colour.

     "I think I've heard of this. It's happened before. The Great Grimm of Darkness took a child as a host. We can get it back out but I have to do it soon or it will be permanent," Summer informs the wide-eyes Taiyang. He gets up from his lying position and sits Faye on the ground, but "Faye"'s got different plans and leaps at her mother, clawing at her shirt.

     "Silver eyes... Silver eyes!" a voice rips out of Faye's throat. The Great Grim of Darkness could speak when within a human body, they discover. Then, one second the child is still and the next she's attacking the parents. The silver-black electricity is visible again and Summer watches in terror as it travels along the lengths of her daughter's body like it owned her. It zips down to her tiny fingertips and electrifies Summer.

     "Stop!" Taiyang exclaims with panic-stricken eyes. "Silver eyes!" the voice cries out again as Taiyang tries to pull Faye back with no avail. "Ugh!" Summer groans in pain and pins Faye to the ground, careful not to hurt her in the process.

     "Summer, do you know how to do the removal?!" Taiyang asks, daring to hope. He couldn't bear to keep watching his daughter get controlled like that. "I-I don't know it very well, but I'll try," she promises. Taiyang takes her place from pining Faye down in her place with worried eyes. "You're going to be alright, sweetheart. Just hang in there, okay? Mama and Papa are going to get you back," he says, hoping his little girl could hear him.

     "Hyaaa!" Summer softly hits Faye's bare tummy and a bright, silver-black light gets emitted. Taiyang can barely keep her still with the amount of energy he has right now, but he puts his all into it. Soon, the light singles out into bolts of lightning and takes the shape of the Great Grimm again. This time, however, it is significantly smaller and gravely injured. It seems to scramble away from them, as if scared. Whimpering in pain, the Grimm finally leaps to the sky and flies away.

     "There's still half of the Grimm's powers in our little Faye. Before I pass out, I'll seal it so that it won't affect anyone with silver eyes," Summer says breathlessly, and Taiyang can only grip her hand in comfort. With the last ounce of her strength, she seals the remaining power of the Grimm in her precious daughter. She looks to the sky in exhaustion but swears to herself that she would one day defeat the Great Grimm so that Faye wouldn't have to carry the burden anymore.

     But when that fateful day came, she couldn't accomplish her goal... That was the day her family lost her for good.

__________________________________________

Thanks for reading!

Vote|Comment|Follow

~ Lyragirl11