Chapter 15: Might be going a bit CrAzy

Nico's POV

     I gasped when I lost my footing in a crater that was formed on the ground, causing my ankle to painfully throb at the action. Thanks to Ward's weapon, there were craters everywhere. I gritted my teeth and allowed my weapon to gather fire dust. Putting the chain sickle back to a double-scythe, I spun it around to create multiple flaming balls of fire that went spinning towards Ward. I brought Raging Falce to the ground with a thump to observe what Ward was doing. He was shooting some arrows, but when the fire balls were too close, he dodged them. My eyebrows raised in realization. That's right- If I can get close enough, I could manage to knock him out again and then make sure he can't move the next time he wakes up. Well,  if I can get close enough.

     My eyes narrowed at him when he completely missed his shot. It legit went five feet away from me. He quickly shot more arrows and I couldn't understand what he was doing. All I could think of was that he wanted to make more craters so he could win by my breaking my legs. I snorted at that before taking my chain sickle and throwing it towards Ward, he pulled out an arrow and used it to deflect my scythe, but it just cut through the arrow and hit Ward square in the shoulder. Apparently the arrow wasn't so strong if it didn't have that greenish white coating.

     My eyes widened and I pulled the chain sickle only to see it disturbingly rip out the flesh. I winced as Ward cried out in pain, an apology on the tip of my tongue, but he seemed to quickly recover from it and aimed an arrow at me, pulling it just a tiny little bit, not enough to make a crater, I'm sure. I took a few steps back because it was aimed at my legs, only increasing my confusion. Was he really just trying to destroy my legs?

     I realized my mistake when all his 'missed' arrows that surrounded me connected with those greenish white lines. The green light seemed to have transferred all to the tip of the arrows and then slithered on the ground to connect with the others, then coming straight to the center - where I was. He aimed the last one at my legs to make me go into the position he wanted, which was in the middle of all his 'missed' arrows. I screamed in agony as the flames licked up my legs and burned through my shoes. The grip on my scythe releases and I fall to the ground after it. My body feels like it's burning but my skin isn't completely burning either. I should've turned to ashes as soon as all the flames touched me but it seems like it's burning me continually.

     "I call it flames from hell. You can imagine why," Ward speaks for the first time since we got here, his voice more of an echo, "These flames torture the target for however long I want. It's literal hell." I grunt as my body spasms in pain. My scythe catches my eye and with every bit of strength I could muster at the moment, I reach for it and let the dust energy spread throughout me. Much to my dismay, this does nothing to get the flames off me and I continue to scream at the torturous flames chuckles, "Nothing you do will help you get out of this. You can't break the connection, the toxic flames are too strong for that." I feel helpless as I writhe and whimper at the burn on my skin. There has to be a way to turn this fight around and I will find it.

     I know that but there has to be a way, and I just can't think straight because I feel like I'm being grilled - literally. My eyes blurred with pain as I tried to concentrate on anything, anything that could help me in this situation and they finally caught onto the bare arrows around me. They weren't coated with the flames because they've all been transferred to me but all the arrows were still connected. Ward needed these arrows to be connected in order to activate the flames of hell. He said it himself, I can't break the connection. But by saying that, he basically told me that all I needed to do was break the connection. The arrows weren't coated so that could only mean they were weak now. The connection is strong, I realize as I look at the lines that adjoined, but the arrows are defenseless on their own.