Chapter 19- Basketball Competition

Days usually pass so fast for me but not these last few days. It was hell for me. Being Bella's best friend isn't so bad but knowing we can't be more than what we are right now hurts so much. I know I promised myself that I'll ignore the pain but sometimes it's too unbearable, especially if Bella talks about Jacob. I hate the way his mere name would make her blush. I hate it that he has the privilege to kiss her. I hate it when Bella calls him "my Jacob". Altogether, I hate Jacob Black for having Bella. Then lastly, I hate myself for being stupid.

I did my best to distract myself from thinking about Bella and her lover. I did things that I haven't done before like doing my homework and projects even though they are not yet due until next week. I even made a summary on every lesson that was already discussed in class. I also concentrated on basketball.

Speaking of basketball, today, all of the varsity players of the basketball team and the cheerleading squad are given a half day to relax at home because we will have a game tonight. Forks High's Spartans are going to compete against Seattle High's Wild Beasts in the Seattle National High School Gym. All the players are excited to compete. None of us are nervous because we are all prepared to do our best. My family and friends will come to watch the game. Even Carlisle will leave from work early just to watch me play and Alice cheer. That is what I needed, the full support of my family and friends... and a certain someone who you tried to invite.

I did invite Bella to watch the game. I asked her yesterday before Biology class starts.

☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻☺☻

I was walking alone in the hallway. Lunch isn't over yet but the atmosphere in the cafeteria got too thick for me. As usual, you can't stand seeing Bella and Jacob being together... anyway, I was nearing the Biology lab when someone called my name from behind.

"Edward!!!" said the voice that never fails to make my heart flutter. I stopped walking to let her catch-up.

"Hey, Bella" I greeted her when she's now right beside me.

"Let's walk together."

"Sure..." Then we started walking to class.

We've been like this for the past few days. I'll go to the cafeteria and eat and converse with my friends. Then the La Push gang and Bella will enter the cafeteria. Then Bella and Jacob will be all over each other (not literally but you get the point). Then the pain of seeing them together will be too unbearable so I'll walk out of the cafeteria. Then, when I'm on my way to Biology class, Bella will suddenly appear and join me for my classes. The entire afternoon will all be nothing but bliss to me until Gym class because Bella will join with Jacob again and I will be completely forgotten by her and I'll be all alone.

I'm not offended by this arrangement of hers. It's better than nothing. Bella and I walk in silence then she decided to break it.

"Hey uhm... good luck on your game tomorrow," Bella said. This is one of the times when I feel that Bella cares enough for me to remember those important or little things about me.

"Yeah. Thanks. Are you coming to Seattle to watch the game?" Ever since Bella came into my life and became my friend, I'd always wanted her to watch me play basketball. If she will be on the bleachers cheering for me, I will be so inspired.

"I'm not sure... you know that I'm not really into sports..." I really expected her to say that. I never saw her in any game that Forks National High competed in.

"Ok, but I wish you could come, you know, watch me play and cheer for me..." Edward, you sound desperate right now. Anyway, Bella giggled about something.