5) ''Stay After Class''

Despite the awkward start, school went on as usual. Yuuri went through like a ghost, silent and unseen. Only looked upon when called out in class or Yurio scoffed at him, something that was becoming a common occurrence.

It did seem, though, that one person had taken a notice to him and that was his supply teacher, Mr Nikiforov. It scared him, he didn't like the feeling of their eyes making contact or how his hand would sometimes leaning too heavily on his shoulder when helping him. He hated when the breath would hit his neck making him shudder, unknowing of why.

There was at least one thing he was glad for, though, and that was the obliviousness to powers. It was as if they didn't exist here. Of course, friends still showed off to each other with them and sure, sometimes students were told off for using them in class but, excluding all the minor things, not a single person cared.

Yuuri revelled in that fact, he was never asked what it was- he never had to lie. There was still that dawning dread in the pit of his stomach but somehow, it had become manageable and he was no longer ruled by it.

This was at school, that is. A few days couldn't make him throw away that self-hatred he had clutched onto his whole life. A lack of questions couldn't just make him smile again. A few kind words couldn't make the panic attacks go away.

He could just hold it in long enough for no one to notice.

He was the shy nerd who sat in the corner alone because he didn't like to be bothered. He had built the reputation easily and no one seemed to have a problem with it. Of course, there were the few that made conversation with him, to which he didn't mind if they didn't stick around.

Yuuko seemed to be a common visitor and loved to rant on about boys to him, which he didn't mind if he only had to nod as he peacefully ate his lunch. Phichit, oddly, had gotten in touch too and often called him at lunch times to say hi. He missed Phichit and was glad to be able to talk to an old friend, one who didn't know his secret but didn't mind. He liked to be naïve, he was better off that way.

It was Tuesday now, eight days since he had started school, and he was as nervous as ever. He entered through the main doors and winded his way around the crowded halls to find his locker, bland, blue and small.

When he opened it, he found it empty and simply stuffed his bag in it before getting out the books he needed and heading to his first class.

It was Russian, it seemed to often that he had Russian as he made his way to the door. That would be followed immediately by Maths when he would then have a break.

He sighed and pushed open the door, revealing an already bustling classroom. He was late in today and had missed homeroom but was glad to make it, without much time to spare, to his first class.

Viktor shot him and kind smile whilst Yurio thinned his eyes which followed him to where he sat the back of the classroom where Yuuko was talking too quickly for Yuuri to understand, not that he cared to anyway.

Yuuko continued to talk, loudly and obnoxiously yet making good background noise, when Mr Nikiforov finally spoke up and began the class.

'Hi, everyone! To start, I'm already sick of this whole Mr Nikiforov, no one can pronounce it anyway,' he stopped, sighing. 'So I decided that calling me Viktor is fine.' He smiled, wide and gleefully. Everyone looked relieved, it was true that few people could pronounce his name nor spell it and although calling a teacher by their first name is awkward, to say the least, it would definitely bring a sense of ease to the class.

Viktor then started the class, writing simple words on the board and asking them all to repeat them after him- simple really but hard to keep focused on.

It seemed that both Yuuri and Yurio were about to sleep when the bell rang as both jumped in fright and gained a 'stay after class' from Viktor.

Yurio groaned obnoxiously loudly whilst Yuuri blushed in embarrassment and made his way to Viktor's desk.

The classroom cleared quickly and just the three of them were left. Viktor sighed and beckoned Yurio over who, a long time later, came to stand next to Yuuri and opposite Viktor who was on the other side of the desk, leaning relaxed onto his chair.

'OK, I know you guys find this easy but please pay attention.' Viktor sighed again, though his smile never left his face. 'If you want I can set you homework that might not bore you to death but I cannot do anything about lessons.' He smiled at both of them, perking up at his sudden idea.

They nodded, the idea seemingly flawless. Extra tuition wasn't an option with the amount of work already on their plate and they only needed to be able to pass the simple Russian exam so some fairly challenging homework might actually help them learn. Although, it seemed the Yurio wasn't too happy about actually having to put effort into his Russian homework- or any work for that matter.

It made Yuuri glad, it was an easy distraction and he would take it regardless of his current schedule. Finally, the bell rang, indicating they were late to their next class which Viktor apologised profusely for before letting them go.

Yurio, having science next, made his way outside to go to the next block leaving Yuuri alone in the corridors, really not feeling up for Maths.

He sighed and beelined for the toilets, sitting in a stall and pulling out his phone. One notification, it told him. He quickly unlocked his phone and opened it. A message from anonymous: 'I thought having a lame power was weak, none at all? Now that's just pathetic.' Yuuri clutched his phone. Whoever had sent that had to be someone who could get his contact details and he had no idea.

It didn't matter, anyway. It was enough to crush Yuuri's self-esteem more than it already had. A tear slipped down his cheek, now he didn't think he could get through the day at all.

He was hopeless.

word count: 1068

published: 31.01.17