24) ''We Have To Tell Them''

'We have to tell them.' Viktor's face switched again. It had been an hour since Yuuri had woken up and the two were still talking in the privacy of Yuuri's room. Yuuri's parents had long since gone and left them to their own devices, beginning their own little theories of what was going on.

Of course, both of them were a little worried. A student-teacher relationship was nothing to be happy about and would take action if needed but they liked Viktor and they saw a friendship blooming, at least. They would accept that.

And maybe, when Yuuri left school, they could accept more too.

'What?' Yuuri muttered, distracted by his own thoughts, missing what Viktor had said.

'We have to tell them.' Viktor reiterated. The repeating of the words did not help. Yuuri was as confused, if not more, as before.

'Tell who, what?' Yuuri asked, rubbing his eyes, still feeling a little groggy. He stretched upwards and sat against the headboard of the bed so he could face Viktor properly.

'Tell your parents about your power.' Well, that was sudden, Yuuri thought with a little shock. Viktor had that face on again, that one that gave Yuuri a front row seat to his brooding.

'Why?' Was Yuuri's first reaction. He hadn't meant to say it out loud but it was too late to take back now. And, with Viktor's expression, he knew he had most likely said the wrong thing.

'Why? They're your parents, Yuuri!'

'I know, I know.' Yuuri dismissed. 'But, why now? Maybe...maybe we should just wait until I could control it.' Yuuri's voice faded to nothing, his voice unsure and shaky. Viktor could already see the cracks in his facade. He wanted to tell his parents, he really did.

He was just afraid.

Yuuri was often afraid. He looked to the future and found the worst scenarios. Seems ironic now. His personality was so perfectly presented in his power. Just as Viktor's represented him. Not that anyone would no one that.

It was said that everyone's powers represented them. People tended to dismiss the fact out of fear of what theirs meant. The simple powers- the most common- tended to say very little. But, those rare ones- ones like Viktor's any Yuuri's- they could tell any entire life story.

Mind control, Viktor thought. Representing the vicious want for control over others. He didn't use it simply for the guilt that came afterwards. A personality born from experiences of submissiveness.

Yet, Viktor had still been born with his power. Maybe it was destiny in play. He didn't believe in destiny, or maybe he did. He never openly said he did but then again, who did he have to tell?

'No.' Viktor finally spoke, his voice decisive and clear. 'You have to tell them. They're you parents, Yuuri, they need to know.' Viktor swallowed thickly, the terrors of his past threatening to break free.

He swallowed them down. He loved his parents.

Right?

He shook off his thoughts. This was no time to think of himself. He needed to help Yuuri through this, as his teacher.

Right, as his teacher.

'Okay.' Yuuri's voice was weak, trembling. Viktor sighed, placing a hand on Yuuri's cheek, stroking gently.

Yes, as his teacher.

'How about I tell them. I'll bring them back in and we'll tell them together but I can do all the talking.' Yuuri nodded quickly, trusting Viktor a little too fast. But, Yuuri was right to. He knew he couldn't do it himself. Viktor would be the help he needed. He knew his parents had to know about him, they had his entire life. They just knew false facts.

Viktor swept up, dragging flimsy fingers through his hair before running out to fetch Yuuri's parents. Yuuri remained still, focusing once again on his breathing, the calm of the room welcome. In and out. In and out.

'Yuuri. I'm back. Viktor spoke, smiling slightly. He walked into the room, Yuuri's parents following behind him. Yuuri, with the little strength he had, sat up and glanced at both of his parents nervously.

'You definitely don't want to tell them yourself?' Viktor asked, peaking his parents' interest as well as releasing a small bit of dread from himself. He nodded again, still not ready to speak.

Viktor took a place on the side of Yuuri's bed, looking up to his parents- the grave look back on his face. The one that didn't quite suit him.

'We have something to tell you...about Yuuri's lack of power.' He addressed Yuuri's parents formally. Yet again, something that didn't suit him. Viktor was laid back, casual. Now, he looked so serious- as if the matter was life or death. Maybe it was. Neither understood what was happening.

The unknown is dangerous territory.

His parents looked interested, shocked even. Yuuri never flaunted his lack of powers. He hid it like he had the plague. But, Viktor knew. Their suspicions grew. 'It's false. In the last few days, we think that something has changed. Yuuri can see the future. I know it's a risky thing to say but I have proof. It's not definitive but I can't find a reason to doubt the conclusion.' Viktor explained. Yuuri backed away, shy of his parents' reaction, not looking up to see it.

That's why when he felt two pairs of arms around him, he was no less than astonished. 'That's amazing, Yuuri!' His mother cried, pulling away, a proud smile on her face. Yuuri looked between his parents, both looking so proud and then, his gaze turned to Viktor. That smile was back on his face. Things felt in place again. It almost felt, normal.

Although, none of this was normal, was it? It was anything but normal.

'Can you do it? I've never known someone to develop a power so late. Does it work differently?' His father asked curiously. Yuuri shied away again, his gaze downcast to his lap. But, as usual, Viktor was there to talk in his place.

'We're practising but so far the success rate has been slim. Minimal, even. It seems to, it has a correlation to these...blackouts. We're not quite sure yet, though.' His parents nodded understandingly but Yuuri just felt pained. He swallowed, focusing on his breathing but it didn't seem to be working.

That small glimpse of happiness just made this all the worse. His parents had looked so proud and now all he had to say was that every time he used it, he failed to even stay conscious. He felt incompetent. He felt stupid.

He realised soon that silence had already fallen and the discussion was gone and all eyes were on him. Viktor was calling out to him and his breathing had suddenly become so prominent. He hadn't realised just how lost he had been in his thoughts.

Viktor was still calling out to him and with a few blinks, he realised that Viktor was just in front of him, their faces inches from each other. His parents were lost in the blur of his surroundings. He made no attempt to look for them, he kept his eyes focused on Viktor. He watched as his shoulders moved up and down and followed his movements, vaguely aware that that was what Viktor was instructing him to do.

Their eyes locked and for a moment, time stopped. It was just them. In his room, Yuuri thought, suddenly flustered. And with a small, final breath, he felt back to normal again. He smiles weakly, his eyes still wide and his hands still trembling.

He looks around, his parents are watching him cautiously. They're watching them both cautiously. No, suspiciously.

Yuuri didn't know what to say. What could he say? Nothing.

Great.

word count: 1252

published: 01.07.17