2;

True to his word, Marley accompanied Kelly, Shay and Otis to the firehouse early that Saturday morning. She was armed with notebooks and work she had to catch up on. Marley had been living with Kelly for a little under a year, and she had been to the firehouse several times. Although she had yet to open up to anyone about what her father had done to her, she had found herself accepted and close to most of the people of firehouse 51.

"Marls, we're going to get changed. You can sit down at the table and start on your work so you're not doing it all day." Kelly instructed and Marley went to sit at her designated area. It was fairly quiet and they had arrived early, so only Mouch and Cruz were already there. Noticing the tension between Kelly and Marley, they decided to leave her alone until later.

Three hours passed and the firehouse had been fairly quiet. Casey and Herrmann were sat with Marley trying to help with her maths homework.
"So then, let's see what we're working with here." Herrmann said whilst taking the papers from Marley's hands as she frustratedly shook
"It's complete nonsense. I'm not doing it." She stated angrily. Casey patted her knee.
"You'll never do it with that attitude sweetie. C'mon now. It can't be that hard." However, after Casey took one look at it he was baffled, and he wasn't dyslexic. Kelly noticed their struggles and came over.
"Marls how's it going?" He asked softly. Marley got angry.
"It's complete bull shit Kelly! I can't do this! I can't read letters when they're apart from numbers, never mind when they're combined together! It's complete crap! I can't do it and my stupid school don't give a damn!" She yelled angrily, throwing the paper onto the floor and stormed out of the house. Kelly frowned and ran after her.

"Marls? Marley wait up! Marley!" He shouted, reaching out for her arm and grasped her wrist. Marley hissed in pain and yanked her arm away.
"Ow!"
"C'mon, I didn't grab you that hard did I? I'm sorry Marley. But you need to come back into the house, I get that you're struggling and I'm going to help you, but you can't run away all the time sweetie." Kelly said softly and Marley frowned.
"I just can't do it Kelly. School isn't for me and it never will be. If you'd let me have Ryan over then I-" Kelly cut her off.
"You're still buzzing on about that Ryan idiot?! Jesus Marley, he's bad news. And Ryan isn't coming over, you need to understand that. Now come back with me- I'm not asking this time, I'm telling you." Kelly stated more authoritatively this time and Marley followed.

Everything went quite in the firehouse when they walked back in and Marley cringed. She despised being the centre of attention and everyone's eyes were on her. Kelly told her to sit and just chill for a minute.
"Hey Cruz, can I borrow you for a second?" He asked and Joe followed close behind him.

"I need to ask a favour of you and Leon really." Kelly began and Joe nodded.
"Marley's been seeing this guy called Ryan-" Joe cut him off.
"You mean Ryan Thomas?" He asked. Kelly nodded.
"Ryan's bad news Kelly." Joe stated.
"We know that, but she's convinced he's not. I was wondering if you'd mind getting Leon to talk to her? She's thinks she can handle it and I'm worried that Ryan's going to start asking her to do things with the gang and the drugs and stuff, and I know she won't be able to handle that and I'm scared I'll loose her." Kelly explained sadly and Joe nodded.
"Of course. I'll get him to come over now if you want?" He asked to which Kelly nodded quickly.
"Awesome."

Around an hour later, Joe's younger brother and ex gang-member Leon Cruz walked into the firehouse.
"Hey Leon!" Casey exclaimed, shaking the young man's hand.
"What are you doing here?" He asked curiously. Leon shrugged.
"Joe called me- something about Ryan Thomas and Marls?" Leon and Marley had met before- and they were friends. Leon knew Marley well and could tell when she needed help- which is why he didn't mind about ditching his mates and helping Joe and Kelly out.
"She's involved with him?" Casey shook his head. Leon shrugged slightly.
"Not when I've talked to her- she's not getting involved with him and his gang if I can help it. I've seen what they do to their girls and she's not going through that." Something flashed in Leon's eyes and Casey smirked.
"So you like her then?" He winked. Leon blushed ever so slightly.
"She's a friend- and I hate Ryan." He dismissed Casey's accusation quickly-too quickly for Casey's liking and he stalked into the conference room where Kelly, Joe and Marley were sat.