47;

"I'm just saying Marls, don't you think it's a little suspicious? A random group of kids just ask to meet you, that you met this morning?" Mouse questioned as the pair sat at their desk. Marley had just made the pair coffee, whilst Mouse had got them a sandwich each.
"Of course I do," Marley laughed. "but I don't have any friends-"
"Hey! We're friends,"
"Let me reword, I don't have any friends I like," she joked. Mouse laughed but grew serious quickly.
"You have to look after yourself Marley, you know better than anybody here that-"
"Look, Mouse," Marley snapped, flinching at her own tone. "I have had more experience than I should have in how evil people can be. I have lived every day of my life, scared. Since Yates," she felt her eyes begin to water, and a lump in her throat demanded to be swallowed. "Since Ryan, since my dad. I can't live my life that way anymore, okay? I have to start believing that people can be good. Okay?" Mouse scanned her face before nodding softly.
"Okay, I'm sorry. I'll back off."
"Thank you," She said, smiling at the man before turning back to her computer.
"But I still think I could, accidentally, run their names through the system," He said, only partly joking, but laughter from the girl filled his ears, reassuring him that they were okay.

Ji and Ben had arrived to pick Marley up just after six. As promised, the three had met the others at a local fast food place to get some dinner before their movie. Marley hadn't even been sure what they had been planning on seeing, she was just happy to be there. Marley and Ji had been talking about what form of potato their liked the best (Marley had outright declared fries as the superior kind of potato, but Ji was passionately defending mashed potato's) when Kelly had sent her a text offering to collect her with Squad when she was finished so long as they weren't on a call.
"Hey, does anyone know when the movie finishes?"
"Wanting to leave us already? How charming!" Jacob had joked, the group laughing loudly in response.
"Oh! N-no, I-" Marley stammered, anxious that she had upset her new friends.
"I'm kidding, after commercials and the movie, it'll probably be around ten. I think."
"Awesome, thanks," She responded, going to text Kelly back.
"You texting your boyfriend?" Ji asked, smirking at Marley.
"Nah, my dad wanting to know when to come get me."
"No way! Tell him not to worry. I'll take you wherever you need to go after," Ji smiled, shooting a wink at Marley, who, for some reason unbeknownst to her, blushed in response.
"That's really cool of you, thanks," Marley replied, smiling back at her. The two girls held eye contact for a moment longer before Marley looked away, pushing her hair behind her ear and turning to engage in a conversation with Ben. Ji and Marley exchanged glances more than once after that.

Marley had a feeling in her stomach for the rest of the night that she couldn't describe. It was especially strong when she had eye contact with Ji, or when she would bite her lip when she laughed, or the way that she would push her hair behind her ears- butterflies. The feeling confused Marley - she had always considered herself to be attracted to men and only men, but now she was having second thoughts.

Ji had grabbed her hand and dragged her to her car immediately after the movie ended. She had told the others that she wanted to be home soon, but when the two girls were sat side by side in the car, the true reasoning had become clear to Marley - Ji wanted time alone with her.
"Can I take you out this weekend?" She had asked after a moment of quiet. Marley flushed red instantly. "Oh gosh, you're straight aren't you? I've blown this, I have no idea what I'm supposed to d-"
"No! I mean, I don't know what I am, I guess. I've always been attracted to boys I think, but-" Marley cut herself off, in the hopes of avoiding embarrassing herself if the feelings were not reciprocated.
"No, please. Say what you need to say to figure things out. You can always be open with me about anything, Marls, I would never judge."
"I guess I am attracted to you," she mumbled quietly, ignoring the flutters in her stomach and steadying her shaking hands. "But I totally get it if you don't feel the same and I won't be mad and I get it-" Ji cut Marley off in a way that took them both by surprise. Her lips were on Marley's, both of her hands on her cheeks.  After a short time, the girls separated, both looking flustered and embarrassed.
"I-" Ji began as they pulled up outside the firehouse. Marley noticed the trucks weren't there, so she assumed that they must have been called out. Marley smiled, feeling a whole new level of confidence wash over her body. It was her turn to cut the other female off, even if a little less bodly than when Ji had done it. Marley planted a soft kiss on Ji's cheek, taking her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. Ji smiled widely at the girl, nodding at her, as if the pair had silently arranged that no words were required to be spoken. "I'm gonna plan the best official first date you've ever been on Marley Severide." Ji stated firmly, her mind already beginning to whirl with ideas. Marley laughed loudly and opened her door. "I'll pick you up at noon!"

Marley stepped away from the car, waving at her friend as she drove off. The smile she wore on her face would not go away. Walking into the firehouse, she noticed that the Squad 3 truck was still in its spot, and sure enough, her father, Capp, Tony and Cruz were all sat at the Squad table playing cards. Kelly dropped his hand and rushed over to her immediately after he saw her arrive.
"Marls, baby, I missed you! How was your evening?" Her face flushed instantaneously as her mind wandered, and the teasing began imminently.
"I know that face," Capp stated, nudging Cruz who grinned at the teenager
"That is the face of young love," Tony added, laughing as the girl grew more red and Kelly frowned.
"Who is the lucky guy then?" Cruz asked and something within Marley snapped.
"It's a girl, actually," the words flew out of her mouth before she could stop them. The three men exchanged glances, unsure of what to say. Cruz broke the silence first, as Kelly watched his daughter who looked on the brink of tears. "Well, we're still going to have to give her the the big brother talk, I hope you know that." And with that, they went back to their cards, leaving Kelly and Marley to talk.

"How long have you known you're-"
"Dad, I honestly don't even know what I am. I don't think I have had feelings for another girl before. Ji is different. I don't understand it myself."
"That's fine. I'll support you whatever, Marls, you know that. You hungry? I kind of want a pizza and movie night. What shall we watch? There's a new horror if you're up for it, or a comedy-"
"Is that it?"
"Huh?"
"I just told you I might be gay or whatever and you just don't care?"
"Marls, what did you expect? My best friend and roommate for years was Shay for heavens sake. I like women, you like women, it's just another thing we have in common." Marley laughed with relief at his words, feeling grateful inexplicably for her father and his words.
"I'll order the pizza, you chose the movie?" She offered.
"Deal."

And with that, the pair settled down in Kelly's bunk to watch a movie and spend some quality time together. Marley had missed spending time with her dad, and made a mental note to start appreciating this time more. Life is short, and she wanted to start showing people in her life what they mean to her before it was too late. Even if all that meant doing was eating a deep dish and watching a lame movie.