43;

There was an undoubted sense of excitement within Firehouse 51 over the next few days. Each member had, in shifts, played their part in helping the teenager to decorate and build some basic furniture. They had all decided that the Herrmann's would want to bring some of their existing furniture, and anything they were unsure of, Marley had covered by purchasing a large gift card to a furniture store in the area that Donna had assured her Cindy loved. 

Marley was a bundle of nerves and excitement. She had booked a table at a local Italian restaurant that she knew - from her time living with the Herrmann's, that they all loved, and had told the couple and their kids to meet her there. Her plan was to get dropped off, buy them dinner and ask them for a ride home, but make a 'stop' on the way (the stop being their new home where everyone was waiting for them). Throughout the whole process, Kelly noticed how deeply she thrown herself into the project; so much so that she had barely processed the events of the trial. Whilst he was overcome with pride and admiration for his daughter, there was a nagging feeling inside of him that feared for how she would cope when this distraction was gone. Almost selfishly, however, he ignored that feeling, instead too content that she seemed happy at last. 

Anxiety and excitement coursed through Marley's body as she sat at the large table waiting for the Herrmann's to arrive. She text Kelly one final time to ensure everyone was ready, and Kelly had replied the same thing he had the previous eighteen times, that everything was ready for them and for her to relax and enjoy their meal. As always, she could hear the family before she could see them. Her nerves immediately softened as she was embraced from behind by Max.
"Marley!" The young boy exclaimed, jumping excitedly as he wrapped his arms around her neck.
"Hi," Marley began, embracing him in a hug. "I've missed you, sweetie."
"Max! We told you to wait for us," Cindy scolded as she approached her son and Marley. She smiled widely at the girl before her before pulling her in for a hug. "Marley, it's so great to see you. How've you been?"
"I've been great, Cindy! Thank you for coming tonight." Marley said softly as they hugged again.
"No! Thank you for this! It's been so long since we last all got to eat out together. I've been saving some money so we can cover the food tonight- we don't want you using your voucher on us!" Cindy said, but Marley shook her head insistently.
"Nonsense, Cindy. I want to do this, plus the voucher expires tomorrow so I have to use it tonight. It's already sorted. Please just let me do this for you all?" Marley explained, and Cindy couldn't hide the smile on her face. She nodded, smiling once more before turning to her small army of children and beginning to get them organised.

Dinner went off without a hitch and the conversation flowed seamlessly. It was only when they were preparing to leave that Marley even remembered she had any surprise planned for them. "Oh, I meant to ask earlier but completely forgot," Marley began, turning to Christopher. "Kelly dropped me off then had to shoot off, can I grab a ride home?"
"Of course you can."
"Great! I will need you to stop somewhere for me on the way, please? I gotta pick something up for Kelly." 
"That shouldn't be a problem." 
"Perfect," Marley grinned widely, texting Kelly quickly to let him know they were five minutes out and to get everyone into position.

Marley guided the family to the house in a few minutes. Upon turning the corner to the street, Marley felt her heart do a somersault. The crew had set the driveway and house up just as she'd asked, with bright balloons lining the path. They had hung a large banner across the front porch, with the words "Welcome (to your new) Home Herrmann's!". Each member of Firehouse 51 lined the driveway, all chatting excitedly amongst themselves as they saw Herrmann's car slow. Marley grinned wider than she ever thought possible as they pulled up at the side of the house, watching as Christoper and Cindy stared at eachother in confusion. They both looked to the sign on the house, then back to Marley.
"What, in the world?" Christopher asked her. She giggled and clapped her hands together.
"Get out the car everyone! Welcome to your new home."  

The reaction of the Herrmann family had been more wholesome than Marley had ever anticipated. There was the initial disbelief, quickly followed by the refusal by Christopher and Cindy to accept it, then came the tears. Both adults cried into each other's arms, their kids running around the front lawn excitedly. Marley had walked over to Kelly who was watching her with a new level of pride in his eyes. 
"Look how happy they are baby," Kelly said softly, wrapping his arms around his daughter. "You did that, Marls. That's all you."

It took the Herrmann's several minutes to fully realise what was before them, and they desperately searched everyones faces for some hint as to what truly was happening.
"Who- Why- What-" Christopher stuttered, wiping his eyes with confusion etched all over his face.
"It was all Marley's idea." Matt said, clapping his hands proudly.
"Marley- what?" Christopher gasped as he walked over to the teenager, who was shaking slightly.
"I knew you wouldn't let me help you pay for your house after the fire, and I knew if I asked permission you'd not have let me help rebuild or anything, so I wanted to surprise you. You all did so much for me, this is the least I could do for you all." She explained softly, grinning slightly as the couple in front of her processed her words.
"You,"  Cindy said, reaching out for Marley's hands who gratefully accepted, "are the most amazing young lady. I- We-" Her sentence remained unfinished due to tears. Her voice shook and she embraced Marley tightly. 
"Well, I had loads of help getting the house ready for you all. It's not fully furnished yet- there's some vouchers inside too so you can pick your own- Donna helped me find the best stores for you."
"Vouchers? You have done more than enough, Marls-" Christopher said, shaking his head.
"Non-refundable, so don't start arguing, please. I needed to do this for you, as much as you needed it done for you." Marley explained softly her eyes filling with tears as she finally addressed the man who had grown to be like a second father, after Kelly.
"I- I don't know what to say to you, kiddo. You don't know what this means for us. I-," Christopher coughed loudly as a lump grew in his throat. "I love you, Marley Severide. So much," the teenager laughed as tears fell from her own eyes. She hugged the older man back before releasing him quickly.
"Right kids, go pick your rooms!" 

The excitement showed no sign of slowing down, as the family reluctantly left their new home to go back to their small house, if only for one night to gather their things. Marley and Kelly had excused themselves thirty minutes prior. The pair had started their walk home in silence, but Kelly had his arm on the small of her back, guiding her protectively. 
"Dad?" Marley asked quietly, and Kelly tried to ignore the butterflies he still felt whenever she called him that.
"Yes, sweetie?"
"I bought you a bike." 

Kelly froze. Marley felt his arm leave her body and grinned to herself as she turned to face him. 
"You did what?" 
"Clarke let slip a while back when we spoke that you used your bike fund to pay for my treatment. He helped me chose it, it's the one you wanted. We gotta go pick it up tomorrow morning." She said casually. 
"I used that money because you're my daughter and you needed the therapy. You should spend the money on yourself."
"Oh well. It's done now. Non refundable." She smirked. Kelly's frown altered into a large smile. He embraced her tightly, kissing her forehead.
"I love you, so much Marls. Remember that."

Kelly held her a little tighter as they walked the rest of the way. Not because he loved her more now she'd bought him the bike. It was because despite her doing good deeds for everyone, he could tell when he looked into her eyes, she was still broken. Her smile didn't reach her eyes again. He held her tighter in the hopes that he could hold all those broken pieces together until they stuck. Until she was fixed. Deep down, she knew this too. But she knew it wouldn't work. 

She couldn't allow herself to fall back to her old ways. But she couldn't allow herself to feel happy. Nadia was dead. She had to deal with that fact first. 

Until then, all she could do was smile.