31;

Two days into working for the intelligence unit was all Marley needed to confirm her dream- she wanted to be a cop. Whilst all she was doing realistically was answering phones and typing up emails and letters, she had gotten a taste for what it was like to be part of a quick paced environment, and she loved it.

Today was her eighteenth birthday. Whilst she had kept it quiet, she knew that people at the firehouse were aware; which is why Gabby had insisted with Antonio for Marley to only do a half day, so she could see everyone on her birthday. Although she was appreciative of the effort, Marley did not want any extra attention; she had had enough of it to last a lifetime, and wanted no more, either that be negative or positive. But she knew it was unavoidable, especially with Matt and Gabby involved.

Today was also the day Kelly was due back. It was something that she knew was imminent but was nervous for it nonetheless. If she was being honest with herself, she was most scared that Kelly would have gotten a taste of freedom for the first time since he adopted her, and would come back and consider sending her away. But she'd never tell anyone that.

At 7AM Antonio and Adam had drove to Matt's flat to pick Marley up. She was feeling somewhat anxious about today; largely because of her fears regarding Kelly, but she was determined to not let it show, and to get through her birthday with as little fuss as possible. The horn sounded and she rushed outside, taking an apple from the counter where Gabby and Matt were sat getting ready for their shift.
"Have a nice day kiddo," Matt said, kissing her cheek. A smile played on her lips.
"We'll see you later. Someone will drop you at the house later on, and we can give you your gifts then." Gabby smirked at her, and a groan escaped Marley's lips.
"I told you guys no gifts." The horn sounded again.
"No time to argue, you'll be late." Matt smirked at her and she rolled her eyes, leaving the apartment quickly.

She entered the car to the dulcet tones of Antonio and Adam singing loudly (and rather badly) to Happy Birthday. She couldn't help the laughter escaping her lips as they serenaded her. Upon them ending, she hit them both on the arm.
"You guys." She groaned.
"That's not everything." Adam laughed as Antonio set off. He put his hands under the seat and pulled out a bag- it was McDonalds breakfast, and Marley was now grateful she had only eaten an apple.
"You are my favourite person in the world." Adam grinned, handing over the bag.
"So how's it feel to be 18?" Antonio asked, pulling into the car park. Marley shrugged, watching Adam finish her meal off.
"Not much different from 17 if I'm being honest." She laughed, following them into the station. They approached Platt's desk, and she handed the two men their guns, shooting Marley a rare smile.
"Remember, no funny business today you two. By the book." They both nodded but Marley knew it meant nothing to them. Voight didn't do anything by the book and everyone knew it. The trio headed to the stairs.
"Oh, and Marley?" She called from the desk. Marley spun around on the stair she was on.
"Yes, Sergeant?"
"Happy Birthday Sweetie."

The day went by uneventfully. It was quiet and largely consisted of paperwork and coffee drinking. Marley was glad of this; this was usually a highly stressful environment and she was so glad the day was going smoothly. Before she knew it; it was time to go to the firehouse. Antonio offered to drop her off, which she accepted, and the pair left.

Squad was sat outside, on the table where they usually sit, and where she expected their faces to be smiling upon her arrival, a solemn look was etched upon their faces. She waved to Antonio before walking over to them, throwing herself into Clarke's open arms.
"Happy Birthday Marls." They all greeted. She smiled at them all, but noticed their facial expressions fall quickly.
"Okay," She started, taking a step back to watch them all. "What's going on?"
Nervous glances were exchanged, confirming to Marley that something was wrong.
"So either you've all murdered someone, you forgot it was my birthday or-" but her voice was cut off by her next guess.
"Marley!" Kelly's voice was loud, and Marley plastered a fake smile.
"Kelly's home." She muttered under her breath, feeling Capp pat her on the back as she met Kelly's stride. He embraced her firmly, and she tried to hide her surprise.
"Hey, did you enjoy Vegas?" Marley asked as he released her.
"It was incredible, truly. Hey, I have something to tell you." He began, but was swiftly cut off by Matt.
"Maybe here isn't the best place, hey?" Matt said, and although Marley notice him try and smile at her, she couldn't shake the feeling that this was going to be it. This was going to be the day that he sent her back.