17

You take it upon yourself to attack the manticore. You reach for a weapon but realize you left it on your bed. Laughing nervously, you ball your fists, ready as you'll ever be.

The manticore rears up on its hind legs and jumps forward, straight towards you, claws aimed for your heart. You roll under it and jump up, facing the back of it.

It swirls around to face you as it lands, its claws scraping across the stone. It charges towards you as you charge it.

The manticore spashes out at you and you knock its paw aside angering it. It roars loudly and jumps on top of you before you can move, claws extended. You are knocked to the ground and you look at your chest to see its claws dug deep into you.

The beast disappears and you quickly reach your hand up to your chest, suddenly amazed to find no injury.

The door opens and the lady enters. She looks at you with pity as she says, "You've... failed. I'm sorry." She pauses. "You have two options... Because you have been here and know the ways in which we test, I cannot let you leave." You grimace slightly as she continues. "You may remain here as my prisoner, or you may be executed."

A wave of shock overcomes you as you come to make your choice.

If you choose to die, go to 23

If you choose to be a prisoner forever, go to 24