21

You decide the best bet is to tire it out. It charges you and you charge it. Instead of attacking the manticore, you roll under it and jump up quickly. It comes to a sliding stop, its claws screeching as it comes to a sliding stop.

It swiftly turns to face you, almost surprised to see you there, when you should have been in its claws.

It charges again, keeping close to the ground to prevent you from doing that maneuver again. So, since you can't roll, you jump. Its snake tail reaches out to bite you but you are just out of reach. It turns and charges again.

You continue sliding, jumping, and dodging the manticore.

Gradually, it begins to slow. And just when you are feeling the wear on your body. Eventually, to your relief, just when you feel you are going to collapse from exhaustion, it does. You feel like you want to collapse, too. And so you do.

The manticore disappears and the door swings open. The lady walks in, saying, "Congratulations." She helps you to your feet before saying, "You have passed the test. In celebration of this, a feast has been prepared. Come with me."

She walks out of the room and you are swift to follow, your exhaustion previously forgotten about, your mind set solely on the feast.

Go to 25