Chapter 3

-- nightmares --

"Newt I can't loose you," I sobbed as I clung onto Newt with my hands tugging at his neck. They had announced this morning Newt, my boyfriend, would be going into the maze today.

"I'll be inside there for a while before you come up, darling. I won't remember you but I'll fall in love with you all over again. I love you (Y/N)," Newt cried culling my cheeks.

He pressed his lips to mine eagerly and massaged them together with an immense amount of passion. We knew this would be the last time we would do this knowing that after tonight, Newt won't remember me.

"They're in here!" A guard yelled from the door of our bedroom. Newt kept his arms tight around me as three guards stormed into the room. They grabbed our arms and pried us off each other, ignoring our cries and pleas for them to stop.

"I love you! I'll never forget you!" Newt screamed as he was pulled out the door. I was lifted off the ground with arms around my stomach.

"Newt I love you!" I screamed back right before the door slammed shut. I wriggled in the guards arms with multiple screams emitting from me but nothing seemed to change. Newt was gone.

--

"(Y/N)!" A voice yelled as I jerked away in my— Newt's bed. I had been a sweating mess, I panted for air when I looked to the door and saw a tall and built Asian boy standing there looking worried.

"It's okay. It's just a nightmare," he cooed and came to the bed.

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" I asked moving my legs off the bed so they could dangle.

The boy sat on the bed next to me and played with his black hair. "Yeah but its fine. It's a miracle if any of us can make it through the night without a nightmare. Oh I'm Minho by the way," he said extending his hand out. I shook it lightly due to the fact I could feel myself shaking.

"I'm sorry again Minho. But thanks for waking me up," I said when his arm wrapped around my shoulder and pulled me into a hug unlike any of the other boys did. His seemed platonic or brotherly unlike what some of the others had done.

"It's no problem but I would take a walk or something if I was you. It usually helps me," he said before exiting the room.

Sighing deeply, I laced my shoes up, slipped my blue jacket back on and left the room. I carefully and quietly walked down the wood staircase to head outside.

The cool glade air hit my skin making me shiver although it felt nice to have change from the sweat littering my skin. From the edge of the homestead, I could see the rows of tables as well as the litter of sleeping boys in hammocks.

Of course my mind wandered to Newt. Was he over there? Did he have any nightmares like I had? Did someone help him through them?

I walked to the woods with my hand running up and down my arm. I found a large tree in the front of the woods with a great view of the glade and rested my back against it.

As I pulled my legs into my chest, I ripped up blades of grass from the dirt beneath me to distract my racing mind. Everything I did felt wrong. This place felt wrong. It seemed as if I was out of place and it felt horrible.

A few tears fell onto my lap but I pulled everything in me and I stopped. I hated crying. It made me feel weak but honestly with how I acted yesterday I'm already looked at as weak.

In only a matter of minutes, I saw gorgeous colors peeking over the maze walls. It was becoming day and although I couldn't see a sunrise, the mix of colors still had me mesmerized.