Chapter 26

Newt's POV

I didn't think things could get any worse, and then they did. After (Y/N) collapsed, I carried her off to the Med-jack huts along with Thomas who stupidly shot himself with the griever stinger.

(Y/N) woke up a day later with me at her side. She was confused when she woke up but then her confusion turned to fear. She pushed me away and only spoke to Gally. Yes, Gally of all people. It hurt to see that she didn't trust me anymore, but that was until I overheard what she was telling Gally, and that changed.

--

"Gally, we're all gonna die. We—we... t—the grievers are gonna come and get us one-by-one until we're all dead," she sobbed, pacing back and forth in the Builders hut. Gally grabbed her arm and pulled her into his chest. He softly shushed her, and the feeling of hurt and jealousy crossed through me. I should be the one comforting her, not him. I'm her boyfriend after all.

"We're not gonna die. The grievers are only taking one boy a night. That means we have a little while to plan what to do. I know what to do, (Y/N). You have to trust me," he put his hands on her cheeks and my body filled with heat. The jealousy was taking over. "Why aren't you telling any of this to Newt?" I froze when I heard my name. (Y/N)'s eyes filled with more tears and she backed away from Gally until she fell on the bed.

"I don't want him to deal with this... with me," she sighed, unintentionally breaking my heart. "He's the leader, now that Alby's gone and I don't want me to drag him down. Look, I know it makes no sense but you're the only person I know who can help. Not that Newt can't but I don't want him to. He already has the Glade to run and he doesn't need to worry about me."

Gally scoffed. "That is the biggest load of klunk I've ever heard. Everything's gone to hell and you wanna hide away from your boyfriend because you're trying to what? Make his job easier?"

(Y/N) stood up and pointed her finger at his chest. "I'm gonna die, Gally! I'm not as strong as you or Newt or hell, even Teresa! I don't know what to do anymore! I've lost my mind and I don't know how to fix it! All I do know is that I don't want Newt to be collateral damage and it to be my fault!"

Her body was shaking with sobs as she fell on the bed. Gally comforted her like he did before, and this time I wasn't jealous. I was glad somebody was there for (Y/N) while she went through this. This entire situation was traumatizing but she was still trying to protect me. The only issue was, while she thought what she was doing was right, it was only making me worry about her more.

--

A little after lunch today, Thomas was beginning to wake up. Gally immediately threw him in the pit, along with Teresa, where he would wait for his real punishment. (Y/N) ran off when she heard Gally utter the words "banishing".

"(Y/N)?" I quietly followed her into the woods where her soft sobs were coming from. She was hunched over the wood marking Beatrice's grave, tears falling both into her lap and on the ground.

"Love, please calm down." I approached her very hesitantly so that I wouldn't scare her off, similar to a frightened animal. When she noticed me, she wiped off her face and looked up at me with her doe eyes. Sitting down beside her, I wrapped my arm around her middle, and pulled her into me.

"I—I don't know w—what to do," she hiccuped while latching onto the fabric of my hoodie. Usually when she was upset, I would take it off and give it to her, but I figured right now that wasn't the way to comfort her. "I—I'm so scared."

I shushed while rocking her gently like a kid in my arms. Eventually, he crying dwindled down until she was only sniffling occasionally. I had never seen her this distraught before, even after she went through the changing or losing Bea. This was literally destroying her.