Chapter 6

"These boys are ruining our progress! They aren't moving fast enough!" A woman dressed all white, similar to a doctors, groaned while pacing back and forth, her short heels clicking with an obnoxious tap every time she stepped.

"How are they supposed to know they're messing with the trials? All they know is their names!" I was beyond aggravated as I pulled against the restraints tied around my arms. I was sprawled out on a metal bed with my wrists tied down with leather belts.

"They are smart enough to know what to do. Those kids are the only chance we have and I'm not letting them ruin our progress," she stated in a manor of such firmness, it made me shift uncomfortably on the bed. "Maybe it's time for you to go up."

"What?" I screamed and pulled on the belts secured around my wrists. "No I'm not going up! You said I was to go in when it was dire!"

"It is dire now sweetheart," Doctor Paige said without any emotions. None what so ever. "You will be a great asset to them like you have been here."

"I won't let you. They'll come looking for me," I growled in between my teeth.

"They know what has to be done. We thought you were different (Y/N), but you're just like those cranks outside: unable to work with. Prepare her for the swipe."

Two doctors in the same white coats stormed into the room. Each one held a syringe filled with a clear blue liquid.

"You'll regret this. You'll regret all of this!" I threatened.

Just a second later, a little boy came running into the room. I recognized his curly brown hair as little Chuck.

"(Y/N)! No please let her go," Chuck begged as his eyes glazed over with tears.

"It's okay Chuckie. Don't worry honey," I whispered hoping to calm the boy although a second ago I would have screamed until my throat bled. I just couldn't let him see this considering he was only ten.

"Chuck come on," a boys voice said and placed his hands on Chuck's shoulders leading him back down the hall. I couldn't see the face of the boy yet his voice seemed uncannily familiar.

As soon as he was gone, I lost it. "You son of a bitch! I'll kill you and every bloody person inside Wicked. You'll all pay!"

The doctors didn't mind my yelling and instead pushed my head to the side where a prick burned in my neck as if I had been stung by a bee or injected with something and considering my situation, I knew it was the latter.

"Remember (Y/N)," Doctor Paige whispered into my ear as if to tell me a secret. Her warm breath against my neck made me shuffle helplessly around as my body began losing its energy.

My eyes became unbearably heavy as I gave in and sealed them. I could make out one last sentence before the darkness took over.

"Wicked is good."

--

I sat bolt right up in my bed with sweat beads littering my entire body just as it had the past two nights in a row due to similar nightmares or memories. As usual, my heaving chest didn't help the situation.

I pushed the covers off my body and let my legs dangle off the side of the bed. My knuckles dug into the bed to prop myself onto my feet.

My legs felt numb as I balanced on my two feet. Only seconds later, my legs gave out and I crumbled to the ground. I was glad that I wasn't still in the homestead knowing that probably four boys would run in asking if i was okay.

Through a giant grown, I pulled up on the bed and finally stood back on my own two feet. I paced a little hoping to gain feeling and it returned with a joyous laugh.

I switched from Newt's shorts into my jeans and clasped my bra on. I contemplated leaving the hut since I had no idea what time it was, thanks to the absence of windows.

I decided to do it. What would it matter what time it was anyway? I opened the door and felt the warm glade air already hit me indicating it was in fact day.

I closed the door behind me and slowly walked away from it. I could see the Homestead and the gardens from here peeking through the large trees. The hut was very secluded and I was having a hard time deciding if I like that or not.

"Hey (Y/N)," Newt said walking at a fast pace to me. "I was just coming to get you up."

"Look! I'm doing it all on my own," I smirked and pushed through the ache in my leg. It didn't sting but there was a dull ache left inside as if someone just kicked it.

"Good job. Now let's go eat before we throw you with the builders," he said placing his hand on my lower back. "Does it hurt?"

"Nothing I can't handle." His hands quickly slid under my arms and under my legs as he scooped me into the air through my giggles. "Newt, I said i was fine."

"I know but I don't want you in any pain," he sighed as if it was hard for him to say, not physically but mentally.

"It's okay really but this does give me the chance to tell you something while I have you against your will," he said with a tight voice as if he was nervous.

"Are you okay?" He set me down but left his hands in mine in a tangled mess.

"Look (Y/N), from the second I saw you I-"

"Oh look the princess can finally walk," Minho chuckled from behind me cutting Newt off. "Did I interrupt something?" His eyes moved from Newt to our hands with furrowed eyebrows.

"No."

"Yes," I said. "Oh no. Okay."

"Come on your highness. We have work to do," Minho said taking my hand from Newt's and tugging me towards the kitchens. What did Newt want to say?