Chapter 10

-- 9 months later --

Greenie day had arrived faster than usual this month. It was as if we all blinked and suddenly a month went by. For Newt and I, it might have something to do with how busy we were now that we were running the maze every day.

We discovered after a week of running that behind the walls was a maze. After the four of us told everyone about the maze, more boys offered to run. Alby decided that since the maze was so physically and mentally demanding that they should be trained.

This brought up the only issue of who was to train them. By a unanimous vote, I was deemed keeper by the other keepers. I trained five boys in two weeks, yet only four became runners.

Then there was an issue. A devastating issue. We lost a glader one day but learned about the grievers (Minho's idea on the name) and the changing. We lost George thanks to the griever's stinger but we learned from it. Only George and Minho have ever seen one and no one ever planned on being the next. So we kept strict rules inside the maze.

Today was greenie day as aforementioned. Most months I was used as a way to calm the greenies who were too scared to speak to any of the boys. On the contrary, I was told by Minho I was just there so they focused on flirting rather than panicking. Either way I felt I was helping.

"This greenie better not be like the last one," Newt mumbled. I laughed slightly and laced our fingers while running my other hand up his arm.

Last month, the greenie was very touchy with me once he came out of the box. After a long "talk" with Newt, the greenie got the message as well as a black eye, which Newt was also sent to the pit for.

"I hope it's a girl. I'm sick of you shanks," I teased and mimicked the face Gally made before laughing.

"Yeah someone needs to distract us from your klunk face," he smirked and crossed his arms as if he was pleased.

"All I need to do is look at a griever to distract from yours," I snapped back. A bunch of 'ooos' sounded around me, telling me I won this round with him. I was the only person in the whole Glade who could tease Gally without him getting angry about it.

"C'mon shanks. Open the box," Alby groaned and rolled his eyes at us. Newt and Gally lifted the lid revealing the shaking figure below. It was a girl.

"What the shuck?"

"Another one?"

"She's pretty."

Alby was the one person I listened to when he ordered, "(Y/N) get down there." I tried blocking out the obnoxious boys as I climbed into the box.

The girl was really pretty I had to admit. She had brown hair stopping just above her bra strap. She had bright blue eyes similar to Clint's and freckles dotting her cheeks. She had her legs curled into her chest as she stared at me with a shaking body.

"Hey it's okay. My names (Y/N). Can you tell me yours?" I asked as she gulped and left her eyes on me rather than the forty boys above.

"Beatrice," she said with a shy smile. Her voice was just as fragile as any of the boys when they came up except hers sounded almost innocent.

"I'm gonna sit next to you okay?" I asked as she finally looked up before looking at me startled. "It's alright Beatrice. They're fine. No ones gonna hurt you okay."

"Where am I?" She asked. She seemed more comfortable now so I took it as a sign that I could take the the empty spot beside her.

"You're in the Glade. Look I know you're scared so how about I get you out of here. Alright?" I offered. She hesitantly shook her head yes and took my hand to help pull her up.