Chapter 5

* I have gotten a hundred comments about this and I'm tired. This is before they knew about the maze so nobody was a Runner *

For some reason, I woke up very late the next day with a tray of food beside me. Assuming Newt did it, a huge grin spread on my cheeks.

A nightmare came last night although it wasn't as bad as the one from the night before. This one was more of a conversation between me and two dark haired people, one boy and one girl. I pushed the dream out of my head and put the tray in my lap and picked at the food arranged on it.

"Hello love," the familiar British accent rang at the door.

"Hey Newt," I smiled as he came in and stood over the bed. "Can I leave yet?"

"Not yet but I did find you a job you could do," he smirked. I just rolled my eyes back to my plate. "What is it?"

"You can patch all the holes in just about everything we own. These bloody boys are very rough with their stuff." Chuckling, I set my plate on the dresser.

"Alright, I guess it beats sitting here all day." I held my arms out before he picked me up again and carried me out to the picnic tables. He brought me to an empty one, since the rest were full due to it being lunch time.

The table was littered with different clothes, sheets and hammocks all with different sized holes. Needles and thread also sat on the table to help patch the cloth.

"I'll be over by the gardens if you need me," Newt said pecking my forehead and jogging over to the gardens.

I picked up a pair of shorts and a needle and began poking the needle through the fabric. Sewing was pretty easy for me so it didn't take long... well it took me six hours to get it all done but it looked great.

It was dinner time when I finished so the boys had strolled back over. During the day a few came over and asked how my leg was or how sewing was but none flirted or attempted to touch me, thank god.

"How was your day greenie?" Newt asked taking the vacant seat beside me.

"It was boring. I've managed to stab myself three times with this tiny needle," I chuckled and tied the knot of my final stitching job on a hammock.

"Well good thing Jeff said you can walk tomorrow. Then you'll finish trying the jobs." My face lit up at the thought of about being able to stand on my own.

"Thank god," I whined. I had had to use the bathroom twice, get a drink and deliver the clothes I had sewn yet I couldn't leave the bench. I could even feel a cramp in my leg when I pushed it off the bench seat.

"Here. I can take these," he said taking the neatly folded stack and crumbling it into a pile.

"Hey! They were folded nicely," I giggled and twirled a piece of string around my index finger.

"These shanks won't appreciate your lovely folding (Y/N). I did you a favor by keeping you from utter embarrassment," he grinned which only made me laugh more.

"Go on delivery boy so you can come back and take me to my room," I said as pushed my hair out of my face with my hand.

"Whatever you say princess," he teased and sauntered off to the hammocks.

I sat alone for a minute before Minho, a builder, came over and sat beside me.

"Hey Minho," I greeted.

"Hey (Y/N). You ready to try being a builder tomorrow? You'll get to be with me all day," he smirked.

I chuckled but my cheeks flared with heat. "I'm just hoping I won't drop a hammer on my toe. It seems I have terrible luck so far."

"Ah its not like that happens that often. Don't worry. I'll protect you princess," he teased similar to how Newt did moments ago. "Where's your body guard?"

"My body guard? Who would that be?" I crossed my hands over my chest and acted oblivious although I knew Newt hadn't left my side since I got here.

"Newt. We've noticed he hasn't left you alone since you came up greenie," he smirked with his eyes wandering around the glade.

"Well since he isn't here, can you-"

"I'm here. What do you need love?" Newt's voice joined us as he stood over me.

"Can you bring me food?" I grinned and batted my eyelashes hoping to convince him and sure enough it did.

"I'll be right back love," he said and cheerily slipped into the kitchen.

"See what I mean? You've got that boy wrapped around your finger." My cheeks flushed red as I watched Newt disappear into the kitchen with the other boys waiting for food.

"He's just being nice. Now you go be helpful and put these away," I teased and handed him the small case filled with the sewing supplies.

"Sure thing your highness," he mocked and stuck his tongue out before I returned it.

I turned back to the kitchens and noticed Newt walking back to me with two trays of food. He placed mine in front of me and slid into the seat beside me.

"I can't wait to stand up on my own," I snickered and began eating.

"Well tomorrow you can walk until your feet fall off." I rolled my eyes and returned to my food.

After eating, Newt carried me back to my room despite my protests (I assumed he had been tired and would want to stop carrying me around but he insisted).

We exchanged good nights before he left me again as he did last night. The same issue with the clothing happened before I flipped onto my side and closed my eyes, letting myself fall to sleep. Only tonight I would be woken up by another horrific nightmare.