Chapter 14

Third person POV

Newt and Alby we're waiting patiently by the doors. They heard the wailing of the griever and became worried knowing the Runners were inside. Newt had his nails in his teeth as he paced back and forth for his girlfriend to return from the maze.

"Newt stop worrying," Alby attempted to calm his friend. Newt just glared at him while continuing his quick pacing.

"What if something happened to her?" Newt questioned in a low voice.

"Newt you know (Y/N). She can take care of herself. She's fi—"

"Hey! We need medjacks!" Ben yelled from the maze cutting off Alby. The boys looked into the maze to see Ben was running ahead of someone.

Minho was running with tears on his cheeks and someone in his arms. Everyone knew exactly who it was thanks to the (Y/H/L) (Y/H/C) hair falling over his arms.

Newt screamed an inhumane cry as he ran to the boy carrying the unconscious girl. Alby had commanded someone to call the Med-jacks while he ran into the maze as well. They carried her over the line of the maze before the Asian boy crumbled to the ground.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Newt screamed hysterically while he cupped her face. His wet cheeks and broken eyes were enough explanation for how he was feeling.

"What happened?" Alby asked as Minho panted before the girl.

Through tears, he was able to cry out, "She was stung. The griever was just dragging her through the maze." This was the first time anyone saw the tough boy cry.

By now other Gladers had ran to the huddled group and looked at the girl. Her skin was a whole shade lighter, chapped closed lips, as well as sealed eyes. She looked peaceful covered in dirt and sweat.

Newt wouldn't speak. He was just holding her. He cried into her neck, unwilling to watch Alby lift her shirt. Sure enough, the circular wound sat on the right side of her stomach. Surrounding the wound was purple and green veins trailing to her lower body and up to her breasts. Even through all this, her stomach rose and fell unevenly.

"Newt they need her," Alby said as the keeper of Med-jacks, Jeff, ran over with a syringe filled with blue liquid. The syringes were only used twice on a fellow Runner named George and the builder who snuck into the maze named Gally.

"Newt they need to give her the serum!" Alby ordered until Newt let go of the girl, his eyes never leaving her face.

Jeff planted the syringe into the spot beside her wound, resulting in her mouth parting and her stomach to shake uncontrollably. She was shaking hard as soft whimpers left her lips. Eventually, it all calmed to stillness.

"Help me take her to a room," Jeff made the call and waited for Alby to pick her up exactly how Minho brought her back to the Glade.

Newt trailed behind, watching her hair sway side to side with each of the boy's steps. His blurry vision made the walk a little tougher than usual but the biting of his cheek was no use to stop the sobs.

They placed the girl on a single bed in an empty room of the connected Med-huts. They looked at her mangled ankle directed at an angle ones leg should never look like. It was definitely broken. Jeff checked her wound and noticed how infected it was and decided to clean it.

"Let me," Newt ordered through a horse voice. Jeff handed him the supplies and left the room, leaving Newt inside alone. Now that he was alone, he spoke until his throat hurt.

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have let you go. I should have been with you. It should be me on this bed. I shouldn't have let you be a Runner. It's my fault." He placed the aloe-Vera on the cut, her stomach bouncing in reply and her throat unconsciously hissing.