Chapter 9

Three days passed since the mysterious doors opened. We watched them carefully and found they opened at 7, right as the sun came up, and 5, right after the sun went down, which meant we had 10 hours inside whatever that was before the doors would lock us out of the Glade.

Alby had called a gathering about it the day that it happened but today was the day he finally came up with a decision, which is why we all mosied to the council hall. During meetings, the keepers, Newt and myself stood in front of the normal Gladers while Alby spoke. I was invited to Keepers meeting despite not being a keeper or Second-in-Command due to the fact I was only girl and the boys thought a girl's opinion could help.

"Alright. So after close watch, we know the doors are on a pattern. Knowing this, we're going to send people out there to see what they find. I know it's a lot to ask so I'm starting by asking for volunteers," Alby announced at the front of the room.

As I saw Minho's hand rise, mine and Newt's quickly followed. We knew this gathering was coming and talked about volunteering. Newt seemed completely on board after I said I was. Ben soon followed Minho so now there were four, and only four hands risen.

"Look (Y/N)," Alby began in a sympathetic tone, "we need the boys to run. You aren't gonna go with them."

"Excuse me? Why not? Just because I'm a girl? You said volunteers so I'm volunteering! You can't tell me now I wasn't allowed to after saying I wanted to!" Seeing Alby look unmoved, I continued.

"This is ridiculous. I've proven myself enough and we don't even know what's out there. You can't just keep me locked up in here because I'm the only girl." I was usually quite calm and content around the boys but hearing him say I couldn't leave made me furious but I kept it mostly under control.

"We just don't want to loose our only girl glader," Winston said for Alby. "I say we let her Alby. What good is she if she's sulking around the gardens." He had a smirk on his face so I hit his chest playfully but still angry.

"Come on Alby. She's faster than all of us shanks here and she's proven she can take care of herself," Minho added. I smiled at him and mouthed a thank you before turning back to Alby.

He looked deep in thought as he looked down at Newt. "It's your call."

"If we go, we go in pairs. Obviously I'm taking her with me," Newt said prompting Alby to sigh and rub his temple. "Alright. (Y/N), Newt, Minho and Ben will all run outside of the Glade and see what they find. This means you will wake up earlier than the others and quite possibly run for hours. You up for that?"

"Good that," I found myself saying just a second before Newt did.

"Good that. Tomorrow at 8, those four will leave the Glade. Everyone else is dismissed," he announced.

The other boys were slow to leave so I grabbed Newt's hand again to both distract and comfort myself. He smiled down at our linked hands and squeezed tighter.

Alby then gave a smaller speech to the four remaining. "I'll give you all a bag to keep some stuff you might need. You'll bring food and water plus a weapon in case you run into something out there. Also I want you to bring paper and pencils to draw or write down what you see."

He made sure to look between all of us but when looking at me, made sure I was looking directly at him. These boys either treated me as fresh meat or a little sister and it was starting to become weird.

"Now we don't know what's out there so... good luck. You four are our fastest and strongest so you shouldn't have any problems. Get some rest before tomorrow," Alby explained before leaving the room.