Chapter 21

If it wasn't obvious, nobody slept a wink last night. Newt and I just laid inside the bed staring at something insignificant for a few minutes before shifting our eyes to something else and repeating the process. A couple tears were exchanged through the long night but we had the other to comfort us for the time being.

We left our hut early this morning after spending ten minutes trying to look less miserable. Newt was in charge for right now so he couldn't seem hopeless or else the rest of the Glade would feel that way.

Chuck was already standing at the maze entrance when Newt and I got there. My watch said five minutes were left until the doors opened when the other boys started waiting with us.

"I bet they made it. Those three are super strong and can definitely run," Chuck said in a perky voice which was completely opposite to how everyone else felt.

"Chuck maybe you-" I started, trying to keep the boy from having too high of expectations. We knew they weren't coming back, but apparently he didn't.

"I bet Thomas and Minho are gonna come back carrying Alby. I bet that they're-" This time Newt cut him off.

"They're not coming back, Chuck. Just give it a rest," he stated with both his anger and pain present in his voice.

Only a handful of boys had hope, so only that few were standing with us. I could hear the small conversations the others were having at the Homestead while we stood here. Other than that, the Glade was way too quiet.

"What happens if they don't come back?" Link (Abraham Lincoln) queried from the back of the group. He came only a month before Chuck and was ironically the second youngest. He had yet to witness someone not coming back before the doors closed just like only some of us have experienced losing our leader.

"Newt and (Y/N) are the leaders," Fry answered for us which only created a lump in my throat. Not only was the thought of being leader dragging me down, but the thought that we would be getting this new status because one of our closest friends had died. Either way, it was a complete lose/lose situation.

I jumped when I heard the clicking of machines from the maze doors, telling me they were opening. The suspense of not knowing what was on the other side was enough to break my heart. How was I supposed to handle finding the truth?

The doors separated after many agonizing seconds of loud cement grinding on cement. We peeked into the maze and felt crushed when we noticed what was in front of us. Nothing. Absolutely nothing stood in front of me. They didn't make it.

"Told you Chuck," Newt spoke lowly, slipping his arm around me. "They're not coming back."

He gently led me towards the Homestead while rubbing my back. I already had tears running down my cheeks and my hands covering my mouth as I cried into Newt.

"It's alright love. We'll figure this—" he didn't get to finish what he was saying when Chuck yelled out behind us.

"Yeah! They did it!" He cheered while throwing his fist in the air. We ran back to the edge of the maze and looked inside. At the end of the hall, Minho and Thomas were slowly approaching us, Alby draped over their shoulders.

"They did it," I whispered incredulously.

Chuck nudged my stomach with his elbow. "I told you they'd make it." He was grinning like an idiot while they crossed the line. We helped Alby off their shoulders and onto the ground while the two Med-jacks inspected the unconscious Alby.

They were bombarded with questions as they kneeled down beside us. They were still catching their breath when they started paying attention to us.