Chapter 7

-- two months later --

These past months had been nothing but crazy, difficult and exciting all mixed into one. I had tried out for all of the jobs and was chosen quickly as a track hoe which I was excited about as well.

This meant I would spend my entire day with Newt in the gardens. Him and I had grown very close these pasts months and I adored it except that it did nothing but enlarge my growing feelings for him.

Two more boys had come up from the box also, one named Zart and the other Chris. They were both nice boys but neither of them seemed to develop the kind of relationship Newt and I had developed.

I woke up early as I did every morning and put on my clothes. After my leg injury, I asked for a new pair of jeans and by the next week, they were sent into glade in a box with my name scribbled on the side.

I left my secluded hut and went to the kitchens where I was greeted, like I typically did, with waves and toothy grins.

I had developed myself here. I made myself a quiet girl yet I proved myself time and time again that I was strong. I had beat Minho and Alby in a race, almost won against Gally at wrestling, and stood up for myself whenever I was called weak which thankfully happened only twice.

I had become friends with every boy which made working in a Glade very easy. The Glade was beginning to seem normal and easy but Newt always ran on his toes around for Alby.

It was honestly starting to bug me how much i wasn't allowed to talk to Newt thanks to Alby having him run ridiculous errands. I had brought it up once and had multiple threats come from Alby about how "Newt knows what he's doing" and klunk like that. I decided not to bring it up again.

Bringing my full tray of food to our regular table, I noticed I was the first one there like usual. I was only alone for a little while until either Newt, Alby, or both joined me (which was a rare occasion).

"Hello love," Newt said sliding into the empty seat next to me, meaning whatever job Alby needed him to do, he was handling it himself.

"Hey Newtie," I giggled and bit into my bacon. One night me and him got unbelievably drunk off Gally's drink. During the night, I gave him the nickname Newtie which I thought was adorable the next day while he proceeded to laugh until he cried about how the drink he was holding was swaying in the cup as he tilted it. It was a hilarious night and we agreed we didn't want to drink Gally's drink that much again.

"Alby's taking care of things today so it means I'm all yours," he smirked while shoveling his food into his mouth like usual.

"Good that. Y'know he pulls you so much," I half groaned in a chuckle.

"I know but he needs help and I'm happy to do it."

"I could help," I sighed. "Give me things to do so you don't work too much."

"Thanks love. Maybe I'll take you up on that offer," he said nudging my shoulder with his own. "For today, we have to work in the gardens."

"How's the new greenie?" I asked. The boy, named Zart, had come up almost five days ago.

Shrugging, Newt explained, "He's fine. I think he might be a track hoe. He tries it out tomorrow."

A few minutes later, we both finished our meals. "Ready love?" I held my hand out so I could swing my legs over the bench and stand up on my own. "Aww is the princess tired?"

I perked up my toes with my arms still wrapped around his neck sideways. I pecked his cheek and thanked him before discarding my empty tray. As I walked away, i noticed Newt still standing there with rosy cheeks.
In a matter of seconds, he joined at my hip.